SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nypatti99

How does black granite hold up? Anyone with experience...

nypatti99
13 years ago

We just went out to the granite yards yesterday and found a really pretty piece of Saturnia granite (lots of swirls and mica sparklies). After reading here, I am a little worried now about wear issues, so I was thinking maybe we used the Saturnia just for the island (flat surface, not cutouts/cooktop/sink, but will have seating) then getting a more plain black granite for the perimeter counters.

While it seems like the Saturnia would scratch faster, it also seems like it camoflauges the scratch pretty good. We're thinking (hopefully someone can tell me that if this is true) a plainer black will not scratch as easy, but if it does, will the scratch be more obvious? Any other issues with black granite we need to consider?

We didn't go into this thinking we were going to do black/dark counters, but its what we liked best when we got to the granite yards.

I spend a lot of time in the kitchen, lots of cooking and tons of baking. I'm not careless, but I really want to use my kitchen and don't want to feel like I have to tiptoe around. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Patti

Comments (10)