SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakabedy_gw

Help my inner decorator KO my inner cheapskate!

jakabedy
16 years ago

Some of you may recall that this summer we moved from here:

to here:

Quite a big change, and we LOVE it. And I've already gotten rid of some great antiques that just wouldn't ever fit in and gotten some MCM pieces to take their places. But now I've gotten to the living room and inertia has set in. My desire to do the place right has come up against my equally strong desire to remain a cheapskate.

See, I have never in the past gotten rid of upholstered furniture that wasn't well beyond its prime. I have only had three sofas in the 19 years since I got out of college . . . and one came from my grandmother's home. (Sad, isn't it?). Hence, the dilemma.

Here is what I want:

and here is what stands in my way:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

These are perfectly good pieces. They just happen to be puffy and brown and tufted and fuzzy and . . perfect for the last house. They just don't work in this one, in the worst way that things don't work in a house. They aren't particularly valuable, but could be of value to someone. I have put them on Craigslist and have had a few people flirt with them, but no one closes the deal. (Such teases, those Craigslisters). Somehow, I can't bring myself to order the new pieces until I have shed myself of the old ones. (And I know the new ones will go off sale soon, and I will then self-flagellate as usual). My grandfather's voice is telling me I'm being wasteful. "There's nothing wrong with that furniture! You're just being fickle!"

So, help me work up the courage to take the pieces to a consignment store this weekend. I won't get much for them, but I'm sure they'll sell fairly well, and at least will go to someone who wants them. And then (one would hope) my conscience will be clear, and I won't feel as though I have abandoned a nursing mama cat and her tiny babies at the side of the road.

Reassure me that change for the sake of change is, indeed, good, and I'm not being a spoiled wasteful brat!

Comments (23)