SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
timbu_gw

Inner gardens, revisited

timbu
16 years ago

There was mention of an "inner garden" thread in the "well, that depends.." which got me interested, and which, thanks to Wellspring, I was able to read. Surprisingly, it dealt not only with the posters' own mindscapes, but with those of the people they've designed for, and how the designer was expected to create some peace and order in both the "outer" and "inner" worlds of the client. There were also those who admitted of forcing their own inner garden on the clients. And there was talk about how our inner gardens come into being and evolve. As you can imagine, I had quite a few deja vu moments when reading through it.

I design for others in different areas - one is creating decorations for festive events, setting the stage and mood for one evening; the other is large glass pieces for homes, typically to frame or hang in front of the window. With the latter, I do feel like I'm involved in the clients' world - enhancing, or selectively hiding, the view from their windows; helping them choose the color of glasses to view the world through.

Am I forcing my vision on them? Yes and no - after listening to them I offer a choice between 3-4 drafts, but these are all designs I would like to execute, and that sprout from my own mind. Usually, both parties are happy with the result.

Now designing for one's own home, that's hard. The reason being, all of the creatures in one's inner garden try to find a way out, whether there is room for them or not.

There was a garden that I lost, and memorized in detail. That helped me survive years in a 9-storey apartment block, just like a memory of the sun helps us through the dark of winter.

6 years ago, when I had just settled in my new home (built by my husband's grandparents) we cleared a small area of the yard that had been under sheds. That became my very own patch. Looking back at what I've been doing in my garden, seems I've unconsciously tried to stuff every childhood landscape in there - a flowering meadow on a limestone plateau, a seacoast with junipers and rocks, a forest with pines and berries. (OK, I hear the answer already: Hire a pro dammit!) :)

Having a child changed my perspective quite a lot. After all, I'm shaping a new person's inner garden here, and looking for ways to enrich that. With what I already have, I could probably teach him botanics and geology... and wabi and sabi, perhaps.

Any thoughts? I'm interested in what shaped your inner gardens, and what were the best things that helped the development of these.

Comments (10)