SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gryane

kitchen design and materials help (a little long) - pics

gryane
13 years ago

Hi all! I am planning a contemporary kitchen that is open to the living area and am looking for some input from you all!

I am putting in natural hickory floors - the boards are a mix of light and dark and are somewhat contrasty. The upper cabinets will be opaque white glass with aluminum frames. The shelf below the upper cabinets will be glass. I will most likely have a white countertop. All the appliances are stainless steel. I don't have space for a dining room so there will be a dark wood table in the middle of the kitchen where an island would normally go. Most of my furniture is dark brown. There are lots of windows and sliding doors in the "great room" and high double pitched ceilings.

I am trying to decide if the lower cabinets should be bamboo or walnut.

My thoughts on the bamboo: I like how it will keep the perimeter light as I want to have an airy feel. I am not sure how the color (too yellow?) and grain (too busy?) will look with the natural hickory floors (too similar?).

My thoughts on the walnut: I love the look of walnut and think the contrast with the white counter and uppers would be beautiful, but am concerned it may make the room look too dark and heavy.

This is the kitchen plan (ignore the colors - also we will be adding a second tier of upper cabinets and there will be no wood on the uppers)

this is the flooring:

Thanks!!

Comments (4)