SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmarcel

Hidden and exposed cabinet hinges??

Karen Marcely
14 years ago

I started replacing all my upper cabinets hinges with the Euro-hidden hinges. I have the typical mid 80's oak cabinets that I painted white. I am re-painting the cabinets to freshen up (probably BM linen white) and changing hardware to a black/bronzish color, then I am having my Sienna Bordeaux granite installed on the countertops. Already had the granite installed on my black cabinet island.

This is my problem. I have finished the hinges on the upper cabinets and when starting the lower I find that we cannot open the pull out shelf due to the position that the cabinet door is in with the new hinges. The roll out shelf will not clear the opening because the door protrudes a little to the inside. I also tried the +100 percent hinges and they do not seem to fit properly on our doors.

Currently the exposed hinges are silver the same as my old hardware. My choices are, replace the hinges on the bottom to match the new blackish hardware and have exposed hinges on the bottom, hidden on the top cabinets? Or see if there is a white color hinge that is exposed but will not be noticeable? Having the roll out shelf not working or putting exposed hinges back on the top again is not an option.

I'm hoping since I have a large island in my kitchen that you won't really pay attention to the hinges being hidden on the top and not the bottom. Does it really matter is the upper and lower cabinets do not match exactly, in that the uppers have hidden hinges and the lowers don't???

Some advise please!!

Comments (5)