SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wwwonderwhiskers

Is Direct Venting more quiet?

wwwonderwhiskers
12 years ago

Hello. We are almost closed & moved into a new construction, and now that the Appliance people have installed everything, I have a question - is Direct Venting louder than running the vent straight up & out over the roof?

I understand that when you turn corners, that the air rushing through the piping makes a sound. Thus, I ask.

Several years ago in a different state, we fell in love with the Vent-a-Hoods because they were so incredibly quiet. Now that we are building, and our modest choice has been installed, to me it sounds too loud. I had asked that the VaH be installed with "Direct Vent" option out the back when I was told that routing up through the ceiling to roof then out was not an option because of rooms & joists & such.

Let me post a pic - is this "Direct Vent"? On the installation diagram & specs sheets, I saw two options - Direct Vent, which looked to me like a cap, and then something which went UP, then a soft 90 to then go OUT. To me this looks like the latter.

We have a standard Wall Mount Vent-a-Hood 42", X to be 27" deep to fit a 36" viking.

So the question is, (twofold if you can ID the pic below), is Direct Vent quieter? I'd hate for them to change it, then it be louder, LOL.

Pic of current ventilation saga:

Thanks in advance for your time!

Comments (8)