SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dazzlemewithcolor

Does anyone NOT have white baseboards and trim?

dazzlemewithcolor
13 years ago

I am looking for inspirational photos of rooms with stained wood interior doors, moldings and baseboards. Every where I look, all I see is white...is stained wood out dated?

Thanks

Comments (19)

• blondepegasus
    13 years ago

I have wood all over my house, yet I prefer contemporary decor. It has admittedly been a challenge, because I have only black wood furniture, granite counters, etc. and would have preferred white trim, but you work with what you have. I have french doors like this all over the house and solid wood 6 panel doors the same color all over.

• gastroc
    13 years ago

DH and I bought out 1920's bungalow last year. All the rooms in our house (sans the laundry room, bathroom, and kitchen) have dark wood trim. We personally love it and wouldn't consider painting it.

• Olychick
    13 years ago

I only have pics of my bathroom, but the rest of the house is all natural wood trim and doors, etc., too. This is the best shot of the baseboard and window trim together.

The rest of the pics show some more shots of the windows/door, but they've been around a lot lately, so you may have already seen them. If not....

Here is a link that might be useful: The rest of the pics

• allison0704
    13 years ago

I'd say it is not outdated, just not the norm. We have stained trim, doors, windows, floors and beams. House linked below:

Here is a link that might be useful: my house

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

I have white baseboards and trim but I know quite a few regular posters here have dark stained trim. Allison0704, kellyeng, and ttodd come to mind. You might be able to see pics if you search those names.

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

Also all stained wood here. Doors, all trim-work and we purposely replaced our old windows with new Marvins. While we changed the sizes of most of the windows, a big draw to the Marvin brand was that all sizes were available with wood trim as opposed to white or another "color.

I do think that the white is the most common color and I think that looks great if that is the look you like in your own home. I prefer the natural wood, lightly stained and even more lightly urethaned (sp?).

Great pics everyone!

• rj56
    13 years ago

I can't post a pic right now, but most of our trim is stained. Actually, I like both painted and stained. I feel the painted requires more maintenance because it does chip. I like the stained trim with darker paint colors because of the low contrast.

• sandra_zone6
    13 years ago

We have walnut trim and hardwoods in our home...

{{!gwi}}

When we redid our two upstairs bathrooms, we mixed in white. I think it is okay for those rooms, but like my stained trim in the rest of the house.

• kellyeng
    13 years ago

Here's mine:

{{gwi:1458261}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• totallyconfused
    13 years ago

We have stained trim throughout the first floor, as well as in the upstairs hallway, which is visible from the foyer. The upstairs bedrooms and baths have white painted trim. This was the compromise we came up with, when DH suddenly announced he was tired of all stained trim (after I bought craftsman/mission influenced dining room furniture) and DD didn't think it would work very well with the purple, gray and black color scheme she envisioned for her room (too bad she's now living in NYC and has left me with a rather unusual guest room). As much as I love my stained trim, I do enjoy the versatility of the white in the bedrooms, so I guess everyone ended up happy.

Totally Confused

• lv_r_golden
    13 years ago

We have stained base, crown, beams, windows,doors etc....walnut stained knotty alder was one of our priorities and part of the overall design when we built our home.....the look is considered rather classic in So Cal.

{{!gwi}}

• dragon_fly
    13 years ago

Totallyconfused-We did something similar. Our main floor has stained pine trim (a medium/light color)and the second floor has stained trim in the hallways, but painted in the bedrooms. The doors visible from the first floor are stained, the rest are painted. I wasn't sure how it would work, but it turned out really well and I don't think many people even notice the transition.

• crazyhouse6
    13 years ago

Beautiful homes everyone! I love the warmth the stained woodwork brings.

Several others posted pictures on the home building forum last year.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/build/msg0516302127551.html

• queenofmycastle0221
    13 years ago

Mine aren't white but they are going to be. Previous owners painted them all beige and they look dirty to me. LOL

• boysrus2
    13 years ago

We have stained windows and trim in our kitchen, breakfast, family and living rooms. All these rooms also have stained wainscoting too and wide trim around the windows. The rest of the crown and trim in hallways and bedrooms is painted.

Here's my breakfast room.

• dazzlemewithcolor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone for the photos and replies! Those are really inspiring. I think the wood trim that we have will just need to be warmed up with a darker stain and I will like it a lot better. Thanks again.

• alicate
    13 years ago

Allison, what color are your cabinets in the laundry room? I love the lighter cabinets with the stained crown moldings. We are planning on doing that too and have never seen it done anywhere else.

• Lisa Hayes
    13 years ago

Here's my kitchen. I would prefer white, but DH absolutely refuses to paint. He won't even take the chair railing down, it's a battle I don't want to take on. So I live with the stained wood.

• dazzlemewithcolor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bump