SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alst_gw

Colors for an Arts & Crafts/Mission-themed basement family room

alst
16 years ago

My husband and I are moving into our first home next week, and we need to pick a paint color for the family room. It's in the basement, which has very low ceilings (just under 7'), and receives almost no natural light. It is about twice as long as it is wide (11.5' x 22'). It's divided in the middle by the double-width doorway. Our "entertainment" are will be on one end, with the other end having a desk, computer, and a couple of bookshelves. All of these things, plus our coffee table and TV stand are all in the Mission style, in a red-oak color. Our couch is a plain beige microfiber. We've got some framed prints that I'd like to hang, that have various shades of greens, browns, and taupes. We haven't picked carpet yet, but will probably get a neutral tan of some sort, and then maybe get an accent rug for some color and contrast.

We're trying to come up with a paint color that will complement our furnishings, but will also help make it feel a little lighter and brighter than it tends to be. Plus I don't want the beige couch to disappear into the wall :) I'm terrible at knowing what looks good, and even worse when it comes to making decisions, so any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments (3)