SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoyamom_gw

Silver Sage?

hoyamom
15 years ago

I am almost ready to commit to silver sage in the guest room. I really wanted an EK paint but none of the greens are jumping out at me and the blue/grays are too baby blue. Is there any of EK's colors that are close to silver sage?

I did buy Martha Stewart's trousseau duvet with the shams - they were on sale at Macy's. The trousseau duvet is white with beige embroidery. I thought it might look good with a silver sage coverlet under the duvet and the walls painted silver sage, and white billowy sheer curtains. The furniture is coffee bean with nickel hardware and the headboard is a tan fabric. Are these color combinations weird?

Tan (beige), black, white, and silver sage? It's a south facing room so it will get some light. I am just trying to break away from beige plus I like the crispness of the white duvet.

Does this color combination seem ok before I spend a fortune on that silver sage coverlet??

Comments (24)

• maddie260
    15 years ago

I have SS in my bedroom and dining room. By the way, it looks more blue in the dining room and greener in the bedroom, but changes all day long! That said, I love it. I think that it looks very good with white and black and red. I have mahogany and cherry furniture and it looks good with both. I usually have a white matelasse duvet cover on the bed and think it looks good. I tried a beige duvet and thought that it looked dull and lifeless with SS. Good luck.

• hoyamom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the response Maryanne3 - the duvet is the martha stewart white one with just light beige embroidery so it just adds a little texture to the white but doesn't over power it.
    What color curtains do you have in your bedroom? I think the furniture in the room is comparable to your mahogany color and when I was in RH last weekend I thought the SS went well with the black furniture they had in the store.

Thanks again, I have been stewing over the color for so long I need to make a decision. Did you use the BM color Grey Wisp or the RH Silver Sage?

• Related Discussions

Salvia Argentea - Silver Sage on my patio

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Heather, welcome to the forum! I don't see why not. I've never had that kind of sage, but I've had others in a windowbox container. It's usually classified as a biennial, but often they behave more like short lived perennials, and can go on for a few seasons. It dislikes drying out, but it doesn't like soggy soil either, so make sure it has good drainage/ well-aerated soil. You might be able to overwinter it with a bit of protection (bring it in to the wall of your house, and mulch it. Keep watering it slightly now and then over the winter, so it's roots doesn't dry out. Mostly it is classified as a biennial, and will die after flowering. But if you don't cut away the flower stalks after flowering, apparently it will regrow new leaves at the base, thus turning itself into a perennial. VG
    ...See More

What paint color goes with Silver Sage?

Q

Comments (0)
    My kitchen is painted RH Silver Sage, lightened with 50% white. I need a light neutral paint color for my dining/living room which is north facing. Any suggestions for a light/off white neutral which will look good with SS and not turn green from the Northern light? I do not like yellow!
    ...See More

Master bed and bath help needed: silver sage?

Q

Comments (4)
    I LOVE white on white bedrooms. Think texture, e.g. faux fur throw or lambskin fur on the floor (Costco is selling them for 99.00 in the warehouse right now); linen or maybe velvet drapes (IKEA -- either their linen or they have the Sanela velvet now in white, too); maybe some faux wood or bamboo blinds. Art work. Maybe some baskets. Nightstand and table. You can also add some plants, either green leafy or orchids. They thrive in my bathroom. For the bathroom. I love silver sage or maybe a slight blue, like BM Quiet Moments or Healing Aloe. I'd go relatively dark with the vanity. Oh, and what were you planning for the shower curtain? Maybe a patterned white or a white with a pastel ribbon design.
    ...See More

Tiny "Silver Sage" Balls?

Q

Comments (9)
    Macranthos, that looks right to me. Blakrab, thanks for the follow-up. I've been poking around the southwestern portion of Arkansas, and those were on my list to find. Now I have a much better idea of their appearance as they mature. Texas does have three of those Dwarf Cudweed species, which FNA describes here.
    ...See More
  • maddie260
    15 years ago

We have white wooden blinds. I think that SS looks great with black; all of my picture frames are black or silver and black seems to best compliment SS. I used the RH paint, but I didn't know about Grey Wisp when we painted this color; the color matching to SS and Sycamore (in my family and living rooms) done by Benjamin Moore were just a little off. I've been very happy with the paint quality of RH. PS: I"m a hoyamom, too!

• teacats
    15 years ago

Here's my master bedroom in RH Silver Sage -- and the room faces north:

• lizzie_grow
    15 years ago

I think the SS paint from RH would look beautiful with what you have described as far as your bedding & furniture choices. We recently used RH sea green in our kitchen, but a friend and our daughter have the SS & it is beautiful, esp. with the darker woods. Our painter who usually prefers SW paints said he liked how the RH went on.

Please post pics when you're finished!

• loribee
    15 years ago

Jan, gorgeous room! The paint color is the perfect finishing touch...

• CaroleOH
    15 years ago

Teacats, in real life, does your bedroom walls read more green or blue? In the photo is looks more blue to me, but I am also contemplating this color in my master bath and it is feels more green in my room.

My bath also gets north light, but has a skylight too, so while it's not bright light, it's not dark either. I just was wanting a tad more green than blue to come out and probably should just pull the trigger and paint!

• teacats
    15 years ago

Honestly -- this color changes throughout the day! ((NO help whatsoever! LOL!!)) But that is the simple truth -- I have never seen a shade that changes do much with the available light ....

Sometimes -- the room is more silvery-blue -- and at other times -- more greeny-blue-gray.

BTW -- this room was painted 10 years ago (I bought the very first cans of RH from the store when it opened in Dallas! LOL! The moment I saw the color on the store walls -- I dragged my DH in -- and bought the paint -- and they were still stocking the shelves!)

Another interesting fact -- so many colors look good in here! From the summery Ralph Lauren bedding (shown in the photo) -- to the winter bedding in darkest sage green. There are gold items and accents AND silver ones too. Black and fresh white (the master bath is painted in simple white) look GREAT with it too.

Can you tell that I'm a big fan of SS? LOL! :)

Jan

• hoyamom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for such great responses and now I feel like that is what I will go with. But I am concerned now that the BM paint isn't the same color as RH. Do you get the RH paint at their stores? I was planning on getting the grey wisp in the Aura mixture. I read that Aura is a low VOC and I don't want a lingering smell in that room esp for the holidays. I really wish EK had a silver sage color in full spectrum - does anyone know if there is one? I have all of her colors but none of them look like SS.

I will definitely take pictures when I am finished.

OT: Maryanne3 - I guess I should say I used to be a hoyamom but now my little hoya goes to Cornell law school (2nd year). Georgetown is a gorgeous school and she got a great education and experience there. Is your hoya still there?

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Hoyamom, I did a little searching for you and found a blogger who uses SS throughout her home. There is a pic of it in her bathroom and it looks just like it does in the store! Shame on you! Between Reno's new bathroom cabs and you, I am thinking that I might paint my MBR cabs SS and do a glaze like Reno did! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: blog

• bettycbowen
    15 years ago

I have BM's Grey Wisp in, well, I guess it is actually 4 rooms (dressing room, WC, laundry room, shower room) and we really love it. We have multi slate floors throughout, and it beautifully highlights picks up the greys and blues in the stone. Dark espresso cabinets, BM "white chocolate" trim and doors, and Palladian blue ceilings, which in some lights looks exactly the same as the walls.

It does change throughout the day, amazing stuff. It really really changed when the 4th wall was painted, too. What kind of light bulbs you put it makes a big difference in the color of it.

• hoyamom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Betty- thanks for letting me know that the BM color is just as nice as the RH. The only RH store is 25 min away and the BM store is closer but in the opposite direction. LOL When I was in RH I noticed that they had some SS slippers with tan/beige fur and it looked like it went very well so I guess I am good to go. I do want it to pick up blues and grays and since the attached bathroom is EK Aqua I wanted it to transition well. I was also thinking about painting the ceiling a blue - do you have crown molding? Would it look ok if I didn't have the crown?

Kmcg - I will have to take a look at that blog - thanks for posting it.
    I know getting on this site makes you want to paint, decorate, and restyle!!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    15 years ago

I really wish EK had a silver sage color in full spectrum - does anyone know if there is one? I have all of her colors but none of them look like SS.

Yep, she sure does. It could be that the chip is not in the regular 84 rotation/stock colors. It's in the "Designer's Collection" she did a little while ago.

One of her guest designers chose RH Silver Sage and it ended up in a full spectrum version called H2 Ah. I painted my powder room with H2 Ahh. Lost count of the number of Gray Wisp rooms I've done, which btw, is a spot on match to the original RH Silver Sage.

I opted for the full spectrum version. There is a difference. The lack of black gives it a completely different slant. It is a fuller color experience and it is more responsive to various characteristics of light as in it changes sometimes showing more green than blue and other times showing more blue than green. It's lovely.

• hoyamom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Funcolors - thank you for posting about the EK comparable paint. I do have H2 Ahh and I had pulled that one from the deck as a possibility but in the room it looks like it has A LOT of blue. It is a beautiful color though but it doesn't seem like it is similar to SS at all. Maybe I need to take the EK sample to the store and put it up next to it to compare. You know I love full spectrum paint - I have almost my entire house in EK colors - so I was really looking for one. I thought at one time I read that Lichen was close to SS but upon checking, it didn't look like it.

I am wondering if I paint the ceiling (9 ft) in a full spectrum blue if it would look ok if I don't have crown moulding? Would it look weird to have SS on the walls with a blue on the ceiling without that division? This is a guest room so I don't want to spend a lot of $$ on mouldings if I could get away with a painted ceiling without moulding.

Thanks!!

• hoyamom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, I just ordered the silver sage coverlet so now it's a done deal I am going with silver sage. Now on to find a painter who can do Aura.

btw - Funcolors - when I got home I looked at the H2 Ahh and it is very close to the SS but seems a bit grayer and not blue like I thought, plus when I held it up to the grey wisp it didn't have the green cast to it. I guess I was thinking of Sandy Lagoon and not Ahhh when I thought it was too blue.

• CaroleOH
    15 years ago

Hoyamom,

Why do you need to find a special painter who does Aura paint?

I was thinking about doing BM Grey Wisp in the Aura paint, but was going to paint it myself. My only experience with BM paint is a few years back, but the paint was so thick - almost like pudding. It was hard to get on the walls I thought. Is the Aura paint really thick?

• hoyamom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have been reading about the paint on this site and it seems like there is a knack to it. I have painted one room and it took me so long that I thought I would hire someone since I am not a pro at it. Do a search and see what others say. I think it has something to do with it drying very quickly so if you make a mistake you have to sand it out and repaint. I was just putting the question out there to see if there is a big difference.

• celticmoon
    15 years ago

EK Clay?

Clay is Gray-green-blue like RH Silver Sage, only much more complex. A bit dark though, maybe try it mixed a bit lighter?

EK Khaki is lighter but more gray. My card was shifting all over the place yesterday, even to very blue while I was talking to Ellen about an order. Ellen said she hadn't ever heard of it reading blue. Quite clearly blue here two days running. Maybe it was the freak snowstorm coming.

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

I ordered a bunch of RH samples on-line and tried them on my bedroom walls. I was going to use RH Seafoam because it appeared very pale blue in my sunroom. In my bedroom it appeared very light and grey. I tried SS and like it although it appears more blue than green. I painted the sample paint on various walls to see how it looked under different light. It changes so dramatically I couldn't tell which paint it was (I had tried Light Silver Sage, Silver Sage, Atmosphere, and Sea Foam. I've settled on the SS but am concerned how different it appears on different walls.

• lauren674
    15 years ago

I can't get over how blue SS looks in the bedroom picture posted! Used it in both my bathrooms. In the upstairs bathroom, with black trim accent, it receives filtered light from low windows and is usually a sage color, natural light adds more grey with undertone of blue. In the downstairs bathroom with white tile and trim, it shows up a soft grey/green. Here is a picture of the downstairs bath color, ceiling is also ss (keep in mind the flash washes it out some):

• hoyamom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The more I see the pictures the more I like SS - I think it is just what I wanted. Lauren - love the crown moulding - I wish I could do that with my room but I think it might be too pricey. I am already spending too much... :)

Celticmoon - I think I one of EK's biggest fans but I couldn't find a color that jumped out at me. I looked at all of those you mentioned but they are either too green or too grey. I want a green/blue/grey so I could have a spa feel.

Thanks

• chay
    15 years ago

I used BM Aura paint in Grey Wisp to paint our master bedroom and bath. I did it myself, and it was great paint to work with. Excellent coverage. I love that color - it reads grey/blue and is so soothing. We have espresso bedroom furniture. I bought lined pinch-pleated drapes from Penneys in the linen color, 72" (I think) length with expresso rods, also from Penneys. I love the way pinch-pleats look, they are tidy when open and when closed. They add just a nice touch of formality.

• hoyamom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That is so cool Chay! Do you have the pinch pleats on rings or where you have to draw them closed? This weekend I was heading over to JCP to check out their window treatments. I was planning on going with white so linen definitely fits the bill. The length of the window is so odd in that room. It is 96 inches from the top of the window frame to the floor and so I am short if I buy 96 inch length and too long if I go 108. The drapes we have up now I had DH put the rod ON the window frame and they are still too short.

Well, thanks again for your input!!

• nancyagrant_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I Have SS in my master bedroom and it takes on a more greeny gray shade...other times it looks more green, and sometimes it looks kind of aqua. Never blue though.
    FYI...Behr's "Rhino" shade is identical to RH's Silver sage.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!