SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Zipper foot vs. Piping foot - or maybe a whole new sewing machine

lkplatow
14 years ago

I have a 20+ year old basic kenmore sewing machine. I've sewed a few things here and there, but my skills are very limited. I want to make box-style slipcovers for my sofa cushions that have piping and an inset zipper.

I've never made piping before, but the instructions I see online say I need a piping foot or I can use a zipper foot. I have a zipper foot, but it is not the one the manual recommends for piping. I can get the other zipper foot for $6 from Sears, though from the picture in the manual, it is hard to tell exactly how it is different than the zipper foot that came with my machine. Sears never made a piping foot for my machine.

So....what's the difference between a piping foot and a zipper foot. Is it possible to sew piping with just a zipper foot? Keep in mind that I am not good at this and need all the help I can get.

All this is complicated by the fact that my machine has never had a tuneup or anything and last time I used it, it seemed to be a bit bogged down. A tuneup around here runs about $80-90. The new version of my machine at Sears is currently selling for about $100. And then I could actually buy a piping foot that would fit it.

So....not sure whether to try the piping with my current machine and the not-the-recommended-zipper-foot that I already have, order the recommended zipper foot for my current machine, or just get a whole new machine and a proper piping foot. It seems crazy to replace the whole machine, but on the other hand, when a tuneup costs as much as a new machine and parts/accessories are more available for the new machine, maybe the new one is the way to go. Or maybe there's another brand of sewing machine out there that would be better.

Would appreciate any advice to nudge me in some direction or another! I want to get these slipcovers done by thanksgiving!

Comments (15)