SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Favorite affordable kitchen work table/freestanding island?

artemis78
12 years ago

I'm on the hunt for a freestanding kitchen island/work table, and having no luck finding what we need...wondered if anyone might have some good suggestions of favorites.

Our dream table is made of wood (any species will do!) and is roughly 48"L x 25"W x 35"H (but very flexible---just can't be over 30" wide to keep minimum aisles). Ideally it has two shelves below, or some combo of a shelf and drawers or cabinets. Things that need to live there include cast iron pots and pans, a couple of big stockpots, and heavy ceramic mixing bowls. We're going for very simple lines and materials---nothing ornate. (The rest of the kitchen is traditional bungalow style in gray and white, and the other counters are soapstone and beech.) DH has vetoed a stainless island, which might otherwise fit in, as looking too much like a lab table.

The kicker? We only have around $500 to spend on it to bring the project in on budget! (For the perfect table, we can go a little bit higher.) Right now, our backup plan is the IKEA Groland island, but it doesn't give us quite enough storage space for the square footage. We actually have the IKEA Bekvam in there now, leftover from the old kitchen---if they made a bigger version of that, it would be practically perfect as the shelves are just what I need. (We've also looked at the freestanding IKEA cabinetry, but it's not really designed to be seen from the back, and that's very visible.) I've also seen the Boos islands, but by the time I add the second shelf, they're out of our price range.

Anyone know of other islands/tables that would work in this price range? Thanks!!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths