SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Misc little questions in re project

mtnrdredux_gw
11 years ago

Four questions for those playing along at home!

The french doors for our stonehouse were salvaged from construction on the mainhouse. The have a set of yellow brass levers, albeit good quality. The hardware is two-way (if that is the correct term).

QUESTION ONE Brass is wrong for the stone house exterior, IMHO. Can i refinish this hardware or should i just get new? I love cremone bolts, but can you do that for a door that you need to open and close from both sides? It does not need to lock with a key, but in case adults sleep there should have some way to lock form inside (below the loft is a Q sleeper)

Next, in re paint. (DISCLOSURE --- this stone house will have some pink and some gilt accents. This is non negotiable. I know it's a bit .... unique ... but it's a given.) The exterior trim is now all painted BM Hampshire Grey, which goes with our front barn doors and disappears against the stone. The interior windows are being painted FnB Lime White.

Here is a photo showing about where the loft platform will be. Sorry I don't have one except this, but we have several inches of snow on the ground so Im not traipsing out there. We are insulating between the rafters and then the ceiling and gables will be shiplap. The gable will have bookshelves flanking the windows. There is no baseboard so no other trim to discuss (and probably no mantle).

The ceiling will be a very light pink (this is mostly a girl's playhouse). The windows are Lime White. More questions.

QUESTION 2. I plan to make the interior gable wall and shelves Lime White. Or do you think I should do pink, so that we get a little more pink into the room.

QUESTION 3. I was thinking the loft itself should be painted Lime White. Or should it be Hampshire Grey to match the stone and hence disappear?

BONUS QUESTION - I had pink swatches taped to my ceiling for a few weeks and decided on BM Pink Bliss. When I went to get a sample, they said such a pale color can only be mixed in gallons. $42 later, I don't think it is the right pink. Id like to try a few others. Pink Bliss is really almost white w a blue cast.

Was my guy a dud, or do I really need to buy very very very pale pinks by the gallon just to test them?

Comments (36)