SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
evamommy

Layout advice request

evamommy
15 years ago

Hi all,

Well, I think I already know the answer to my question, but since I know it won't thrill my electrician, I want to make sure my thinking is right...

I wish I knew how to upload a picture, but I can't figure out how for the life of me...

I have a U shaped kitchen, with counters on the east, south, and west walls, open to the north. Family room is on the other side of the peninsula, to the west, dining room is to the north. East and south walls are exterior walls. Sink and dishwasher are on the south wall, fridge and pantry are on the north end of the east wall, and double wall ovens are on the north end of the west wall/peninsula. (It's a half wall for most of the way, but then right at the end, it goes to high enough for the double oven cabinet.)

So, what's left is my cooktop, and also the issue of getting dishes to and from the dining room. I had been planning an island, 2'x6', with my cooktop at the north end, and room for a trash pull out opposite the sink at the south end. That size would leave about 42" walkway all around. But I'm really concerned that the island, including my cooktop will become the main landing area for dirty dishes on the way to the kitchen, rather than walk past the island to what - from the dining room to the north - is essentially the back of the kitchen, to the sink and dishwasher. Also, I can see it becoming the landing area for groceries, and my glass top getting cracked by a carelessly plopped sack of cans. What with the double ovens on the west, and the pantry and fridge on the right, you have to go pretty far into the kitchen before you have a landing area.

So...

I'm thinking that I should move the cooktop to the west countertop, to the south of the double ovens, and rather than having a permanant island, I'm thinking about havig a rolling cart, that would have a dish drawer, for our most commonly used table dishes (plates, bowls, glasses), a silverware drawer,a trash pullout, and somehow, a stainless shelf for dirty dish transport. My idea is that this can be just pushed down into the dining room when it's time to set the table/serve the meal, and then, at the end of the meal, whoever's turn it is to do cleanup, can just scrape the dishes into the trash right there, load up the dirty dishes, and drive it back into the kitchen for loading into the dishwasher. Then when the dishes are done, the dishwasher can be unloaded back into the clean dish drawer.

So...does this sound at all reasonable/realistic? I'm asusming that even though we've already got out drywall on that my electrician can still move the electrical wiring for the cooktop...I hope.

Anyone have any great ideas of how to incorporate all those things I want into a moveable cart? I'd like for it to also have a butcher block top, if possible.

I know it sounds sort of restaurant-ish, but we are large family of 6 children, and while it sounds nice to "have the children take their dishes to the sink", I'm just so tired of traffic jams in the kitchen, and would much rather just have them take turns being the "bus boy" with the cart.

Hope this isn't too rambly, and made sense even without a picture...

Carrie

Comments (16)