SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myrealnameismama_goose

Collected, vintage, salvaged, guest bedroom.

I recently posted pictures of my finished guest bedroom on the Smaller Homes forum. I had originally posted there, asking for opinions on storage options, but I'll x-post the pictures here for the folks who like vintage, homey, comfortable style. Warning--country, cottage, overly-sweet decor ahead. =P

As for a theme, I suppose it is mostly an homage to my strong female ancestors--I built this room from the studs out, and it contains quilts stitched by my mother, grandmother, and great aunts by marriage. There are items that belonged to my grandmother, then my aunt, and now me. Over the years I've collected, and protected, pieces that I wanted to use in this room, including trim from a Victorian dresser, 30 year old inexpensive furniture which I'd used in my children's nursery, and a curbside changing table that I refurbished for my grandson's nursery.

The cradle was crafted by my dear FIL before my first child was born. There's an antique sewing rocker given to me by my mother, a bed I found on craigslist, and an industrial swing stool that I've turned into a side table. I re-purposed a bathroom vanity that was in the house when we bought it 20 years ago, hung a painting from Goodwill above the bed, and used some weathered antique shutters that my mother and sister dragged home from a flea market 15 years ago.

After I finished construction on the room, I realized that it would be perfect for a hobby/work room. The dormer could house a loom or quilting frame, the beds could hold bolts of fabric, and rolls of ribbon and spools of thread could be stored on the shallow shelves. Or, the room could be used as an art studio, with an easel set up in the dormer, stretched canvasses stored in the beds, and paints and brushes on the shelves. It could be used for homeschooling, or a playroom, or ...

My daughter and her new husband are currently occupying the room. She's added a new rug and an antique German trunk that was a gift from my mother. (The cradle is displayed for pictures only--they have no announcements to make at this time.) ;)

{{gwi:1876075}}

{{gwi:1876076}}

{{gwi:2137681}}

{{gwi:1876078}}

Original thread in Smaller Homes.

Inspiration pic. Click on it then scroll for more of my inspiration and idea album.

And this last pic is for anyone who might be reading, who helped me when I asked about china storage and display in my dining room last year. My mother gave me some old canning jars, so this was my spring and summer arrangement. I like the contrast between the rough, utilitarian canning jars and the fine china and silver.

*Edited to remove wonky link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Guest room album with the process and captions.

This post was edited by mama_goose on Sun, Nov 30, 14 at 18:09

Comments (17)