SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
workhurts_gw

Kitchen layout (fridge placement)

workhurts
11 years ago

Ok folks, need some serious help here. Some background. Kitchen and great room are basically on large rectangular room. You can enter the kitchen via the garage through the mudroom. You'll note the small breakfast area. You can also view the kitchen as you come into the great room from the main entrance. Stool seating will be around the island backing to the great room. The sink is now in the island and the cooktop is where the sink was.

Question at hand is the fridge and the oven. Keep them they way they are or flip them?

As I see it, keeping the as in the drawing is aesthetically more pleasing since ovens are completely integrated into cabinetry and they just look cool. On that long wall (there won't be a window), we plan on doing a canopy exhaust and tiling the entire wall.

The drawback is that the fridge gets put in a location with only about 3' to the island. The distance between the island is 3' 5" as you can see in the diagram but the fridge would stick out more than the 2' 3" in that space unless we get a cabinet depth fridge. This space would obviously rule out a single door fridge.

Thinking about a french door fridge, do you think it would work in this location? The freezer drawer would be awkward but who really cares. Our current kitchen layout has this kind of spacing and although not ideal, it works. Was just hoping for more space in the new place.

If you flip it, your oven because pretty awkward but we never use the oven. The fridge gets much more open space and is closer to the breakfast area but unless you're getting a really high end fridge, even the double door stainless steel ones don't really look that great. I'm afraid it would be an eyesore in that location given what we want to do with that wall in terms of tiling and canopy exhaust. It would also stick out a little bit.

I know from a utility perspective flipping the fridge and the oven would probably work better but looks wise ... I can't help but think keeping it as it is in the diagram would just look so much better.

In addition keeping it the way it is likely creates 6" more counter space along that wall and a bit more cabinet space (which we kind lack anyway).

What are your opinions and would any particular set up really turn you off a house? Gotta consider resale at some point in time.

Your help and comments would be greatly appreciate. Thanks.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!