SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
my4cowboys_gw

Please look at my kitchen layout!

my4cowboys
14 years ago

Hi all - My husband and I recently purchased a home and want to redo the kitchen. I have posted my plans below, but haven't figured out how to get the actual picture to be a part of my post. The current kitchen is quite small, but there is a breezeway that connects the house to the garage. The plan is to completely remove the kitchen wall to the breezeway, enclose the breezeway on both sides, and have a larger (although unusually shaped) kitchen.

A little background: We are a family of 6, with DH, myself, and four boys, who are currently 11, 9, 8, and 6. This is our forever house, our "four teenage boys" house.

Ideally, I would like an island with the sink, so I can look out into the room when doing dishes, instead of my back to the room. I would like island counter space for four stools, along with the dishwasher and a pull-out trash. Also, I would really like to have four lockers so the boys can come home from school and have a place to dump their stuff. There is not a mudroom, so this would be it.

Also, a little background on our family: either DH or I cook probably 6 nights a week, and we have family dinner every night around the table. The dimensions of my kitchen table are 42"x72". It's usually either only myself, or only my husband cooking, with the kids hanging out helping a little. Not really a two-cook family. We do a lot of big family dinners, with groups of up to 30, usually for holidays.

Some issues I know I have immediately with the design are:

The walkways are all wrong - 5' between the island and the cooktop is too much, and 3' between the island and the north/south walls is too little. I'm thinking about rotating the island 90 degrees to have it fit better. Also, I had asked for the sink/dw/trash to be on the other side of the island, but the designer missed it.

The countertop on the oven-fridge run should be 24" rather than 36".

I'm not sure where to put the microwave. DH wants it over the stovetop, but I'd like somewhere else without sacrificing the precious little wall cabinets we have.

The door in from the front of the house should swing the other way.

As far as the rest of the layout of my house, the door to the left of the kitchen leads to the front entry, but is a pocket door which could block the view if needed. The door just above the stove leads to a formal dining room, which is also a pocket door, and the sliding door leads out to the backyard and a pool area.

I have an incredible mountain view out an 8' window in between the ovens and the fridge, so no wall cabinets there.

Any help, insight, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I have already learned so much just from browsing through the posts, and the "New to the Kitchens Forum" page is a wealth of information!

My kitchen plans

Comments (11)