SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
want2bsure

Layout Help Please (Demo Almost Finished)

want2bsure
14 years ago

I think we are ready to ask for your help. Total DIY, except cabinetry, and we are nearing that point. Ceiling, lighting, sub-floor, pantry, and refrigerator enclosure are complete. We need layout plan for interior walls, which will include 24" Farm Sink, 30" Slide-in Range, Dishwasher, Under-counter kegerator w/ tap off to side, Microwave, Toaster, and Coffee. We'll do custom cabinetry.

We are a family of 4 adults, one son uses a wheelchair. He wants access to fridge, MW, sink, and maybe the range (for that reason we have ordered Kenmore induction slide-in).

We can move plumbing & electrical where ever it is necessary.

As noted in floor plan, we have an exposed brick chimney and would like to place our range & hood here. House is 100 y.o. and we would like to maintain that character. There is some play in the placement of range. I think I want the sink in the corner to maximize counter run to left. We ruled out an island because of wheelchair access, choosing instead a small (~30" drawer bank) peninsula. We chose the end by the dining room door because the other door is most used and the peninsula seemed obtrusive there. DH brews beer and will install kegerator under counter.In lieu of prime countertop space, he can route lines through small wall to shelving "cubby" at dining room door and put the tap on those shelves. I think this is good use of another dead corner. As for the wall cabinets... I want counter to ceiling flanking the range to hide transition from plaster/brick/plaster. Maybe 20-24' wide. The countertop element may only be brackets, but we need to create a transition point for backsplash (subway) and brick. I hope that makes sense. From the corner to the right, until reaching the 1st "tower", I think I want open shelves or a pot rack. I don't want a corner cabinet. On the wall above the dishwasher will be several cabinets. Maybe the one on the end counter to ceiling? This is where I have trouble visualizing and balancing those two "towers" flanking the range. I like cabs to the ceiling (9'), but I also like a variety of heights. There is a plumbing chase in the corner, we won't try to hide it with cabs. I think I want the MW slightly above the counter; this seems most comfortable for our son. Maybe at the left end of DW wall (Back doorway). Or in the tower to the left of the range? Maybe an open cabinet a few inches above counter, then another open cabinet above for coffee and toaster?

I'll stop babbling and see what else you need from me.

Thank you in advance for your time. The good will exhibited here is awesome.

I hope my photos post... there are more in photobucket, before pictures, adjoining dining room, etc.

Floor Plan

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus