SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beths96

Want to re-paint my basement in a darker color...suggestions?

beths96
13 years ago

Hi everyone. I want to re-paint my finished basement for a very good reason. We did it DIY in early 2007, so it's only three years old, but the walls look awful. We took some not-so-good advice to use flat paint on the walls, and they have not stood up well to my clumsiness and my two kids, ages 3 and 6.

So, my husband actually brought up the idea of a darker paint. Right now, we have medium beige carpet (in great shape!) and all white woodwork and doors. The walls are a very light taupe, almost an off-white. They are very cold-looking, but when we did this project, I wanted this basement to be timeless. I didn't want someone to come in in ten years and say, "Oh, this was done in 2007!"

Paint is easy to change, though, so I'm very to take the plunge. We have a large open room for a playroom, and the other half is my husband's man-cave. I would like to paint the entire basement the same color, and he would like something darker. We also have a half bath and laundry room that is painted a great shade of blue, but I'll probably have to re-paint it, as it is also in bad shape. If I drop water on the walls (doing laundry or whatever), the flat paint almost leaves a water mark!

Any suggestions for a darker brownish, orangey, yellow-orange, etc? Maybe you've seen a cool picture of a basement online that you'd like to share? I'm not even sure where to begin!

I'd also love to get rid of the flourescent light, but probably won't happen. :( We have recessed lights in the mancave section. :) And I also have plans to replace the mirror and light fixture in the bath.

Thank you!

Beth

Here is a link that might be useful: Basement

Comments (10)