SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yardenman

Simple Staorage In An Empty Room

yardenman
13 years ago

I have just emptied the former guest room. I want to make it into a cat playroom with storage space (for vacuum cleaners, linens, boxes, etc) for me. Rather than build a frame and door closet along the 10' length of wall, it seems to me that I can add a couple of wall braced high shelves and cover the front with floor-to-ceiling drapes I have on hand.

Here's my plan... I add either shower curtain rod with a support hanger in the center, OR standard metal 3/4" pipe, OR vinyl coated cable with a turnbuckle for tightening it. Shower curtain rod or pipe would be screwed into studs with end flanges or the cable would be attached to eyebolts screwed into studs.

I don't want to attach anything to the ceiling because it is stippled and that is awkward to mess with and difficult to find the ceiling joists.

It SEEMS straightforward and easy enough, but I haven't tried anything like this before. Recommendations on the drape hanging rods? Has anyone done this before? Any surprises to be aware of? And I'll be doing this alone. Any tips or tricks to make it easier?

Comments (2)