SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Painting a dresser: paint the drawer sides/insides? Prime?

Stacey Collins
13 years ago

I'm making a bathroom vanity out of an antique dresser (topped with the most delicious remnant piece of marble/quartzite!)

I hope people who've done this before can offer some advice. I've painted furniture before but I have some specific questions. Since this is to be a permanent fixture -and the marble was expensive!- I want to be sure I do it right the first time...

1) The dresser is currently painted a burgundy color. I'll be repainting it a light, warm grey. Should I prime first? I'm concerned about building up too thick a coat, since it already has a few coats on it...

2) I normally would just paint the drawer fronts and leave the sides plain wood, but the previous painter slopped some paint on the sides so they look crummy. Should I paint the entire side of the drawer? Will that make the drawers stick?

3) I've been researching paints... I prefer a waterbased paint and especially prefer a low-VOC paint. Lots of folks like Ben Moore Satin Impervo Waterborn or Cabinet Coat, but those aren't very low-VOC. Maybe Aura?

4) Should I top-coat with something clear?

5) The insides of the drawers aren't very pretty: a couple have had sides/backs replaced over the years and all are sort of grimy, dark wood anyway. Should I paint the insides? Or line with something? If so, what would be durable for a bathroom vanity?

Thank you!!!!!

Stacey

Comments (7)