SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juliatallmadge

interior decorator- i'm on the fence!

juliatallmadge
15 years ago

We are rebuilding our home after a massive fire a year ago in which we also lost 98% of our personal belongings. It's been an agonizing year but it seems like the end of the nightmare is in sight. The house should be finished in mid februrary. While we're still making decisions on decking material and door knobs, I'm planning/dreaming about decorating.

Starting with such a blank slate--- the only things that were salvaged was our bedroom set (thankfully bc they are antique from my grandparents). So everything from the paint on the walls to the window treatments, floor coverings and furniture is going to be new. Also we're in a weird situation that we only get a portion of replacement value if we don't show to the insurance that we've replaced things within a certain time. So basically it means that taking our time with things, getting a feel for the space and piecing it together bit by bit is not so much an option.

Given this, I'm intrigued by the idea of enlisting the help of an interior decorator. The "pros" of this would be an expert who could help tie things together on such a large project and who would also have access to "trade only" things (fabric etc.)

My major reservation is that I am loving planning/dreaming/working on this. I have a binder, arranged by room with clippings of photos of rooms that DH and I like, fabric samples, paint samples and I'm mapping it all out in my mind. A part of me feels like I want to do it all on my own (partially so I can take full credit when it turns out to be gorgeous ;). But the flip side of me knows that I could really benefit from some assistance especially bc of the (overwhelming, if exciting) scope of it. Anybody have any thoughts on how to reconcile this?

I have the names of a few decorators who have come recommended. If we do go down that road any advise on how to decide who to work with? and how to work with them?

Thanks,

Julia

Comments (6)