SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chaosamoeba

Mid-century Farmhouse?

chaosamoeba
13 years ago

Hello all -- I've lurked on these forums for ages, but now I'm in an indecisive pickle from which I hope you can all extricate me.

As a forward, I should let you know that I'm a bit of an oddball in that I like challenging myself with decorating -- and by challenging myself, I mean doing things that don't necessarily come natural to me.

That said, I've just renovated my kitchen/dining room -- the kitchen is open to the dining room and has a modern farmhouse look (white, inset shaker cabinets, polished nickel hardware, dark countertops, farmhouse sink, warm grey paint) -- I am looking forward to putting a sturdy, aged farmhouse-style dining-room table (like the Pottery Barn Benchwright, but something, perhaps, less expensive...) in the dining room.

Now, originally I was going to go with more period lighting, and lean towards schoolhouse fixtures, but, on a random stroll through Ikea (!), I ran across their Tobais chairs (chrome and transparent/translucent chairs) which I thought would make a very compelling contrast with the farmhouse table, and then I started thinking about using globe pendants (such as Ikea's Fado pendants) and an oversized drum pendant (CB2's Equator pendant) for the dining room table. I've never been a fan of mid-century modern, before, but I think it's such an interesting juxtaposition with the farmhouse style -- rough, worn wood against the clean lines of chrome and opal; a sturdy, aged feel against something that is a bit more ephemeral and futuristic. Am I crazy?

Also, I may not live in my house much longer than 4 or 5 years... do you think I would scare people away? I was originally going to design to something a bit more compatible with any future tenant's style (I figured modern farmhouse goes well with both classic and contemporary furniture, for future home-owners to be), but I think I'm being drawn to the siren's song of my new idea.

What say all of ye?

Comments (6)