SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jan_in_wisconsin

update: mbr makeover (pics)

jan_in_wisconsin
12 years ago

I'm posting updated pictures of our MBR makeover. I'm hesitant about posting, because I've incorporated so many things that have been recently mentioned on this board as tiring or "out", i.e. burlap, chocolate and blue colors together, painted furniture (using chalk paint, no less), and the dreaded carpeting! LOL!!! Oh well, I do like how it's progressing anyway. I'm still in need of accessories big time, but more about that later.

Here is the before:

After:

For this room, I repainted the walls SW Whole Wheat (they were SW Compatible Cream previously), replaced the bedding, replaced the draperies and rods, purchased "new" antique nightstands and painted them, purchased new lamps (didn't have any before) and shades, and replaced the dresser hardware.

Advice I took from this board:

Move new drapery rods higher and out more in comparison to the old rods.

Add detailing to the nightstands so they tie in better with the mirrors. I painted creamy colored accents on the nightstands to match the mirrors. I also antiqued the mirrors more than before.

Add burlap behind the caged nightstand doors to better conceal contents.

Replace ORB dresser hardware with clear knobs to echo the drapery rods.

Sew euro shams and an accent pillow, which I did. I used linen for the euro shams and a pretty french blue dotted fabric for the accent pillow.

I realize I mixed styles in this room, but I like doing that, albeit I'm a novice and not too sophisticated.

I'm still working on finishing this room, hopefully without breaking the bank. I really like the painting Les suggested of Monet's summer haystacks for over the dresser:

If I get it in an oil and of a decent size, it will cost several hundred dollars. I'm seriously considering doing that versus a print. I'm also stuck on the proper frame style choice for it.

This chair was suggested by interiorstylist from Home Decorators for the area by the corner windows:

I love the chair, however, Home Decorators does not have fabric samples available and they said I cannot return the chair if it doesn't match, only if it is defective. I also like a beautiful chair and ottoman from Ballard Designs, but the total cost is around $1,000.

I may end up saving my pennies for some quality pieces. I'm not decided on what to do.

In terms of accessories, these are some things I like:

French farm animal pictures:

Santos Doll:

Comments (47)