SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kcremodeler_gw

hand troweled Tuscan walls - non Tuscan backsplash

KCRemodeler
12 years ago

Help! I'm stuck with what to do with my large 1990 oak kitchen. I have oak floors which I have recently restained medium walnut. I intend to paint the cabinets white (best option I have to combat the yellow oak). I have a horrid ceramic tile backsplash and peeling laminate countertops. My mind runs wild with backsplash and countertop ideas, BUT...

The walls in my kitchen are hand troweled and glazed in that "Tuscan" tan-color look. I've thought about trying to sand down the peaks and redo the walls, but consistent opinion from contractors is 1) lots of work and $ and 2) it was a fairly $ look to begin with and is in good shape, so why overhaul for a mid-budget kitchen remod?

Any ideas to work with this wall when remodeling kitchen? I HATE the uber-Tuscan look (sketches on backsplash tile, grape leaves, for example) and really don't want to do travertine (bored with it). Looking for suggestions to update countertops/backsplash that's not old world boring, but still tie in with the troweled walls!!

Thanks for your help!!

Comments (3)