SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northcarolina_gw

Natural wood doors, white interiors (cabs) -- silly looking?

northcarolina
12 years ago

Just checking. I have pretty much decided that my current cabs are staying -- can't afford to replace and they are in good shape anyway except for some yellowing of the doors and box edges. They are frameless white melamine. I have been assuming that I would either paint the existing doors or get new ones, sticking with white because of the white interiors. But should I be discounting wood doors entirely? Our bathroom cab, built by a family member, has white painted doors but natural wood interiors and drawer boxes, and it looks great. Why do I think the reverse would look cheap? (Because... it would?) To clarify -- these are frameless cabs so there would be only one color (the door color) visible until a door is open.

On a semi-related note, if anyone has experience with correcting yellowed cabinet edges (either with paint or whatever you stick over them when you reface), I'd like to hear it. The existing melamine is very well attached and not going anywhere without a fight, I think. I could just continue to ignore it since it isn't visible with the doors closed... Funnily enough, the interiors aren't yellowed at all except for those narrow edges around the front.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert