SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anitaladyrose

Reducing number of upper cabinets

anitaladyrose
9 years ago

Hi,
I am planning my kitchen in the house we will begin building soon (I hope). I have looked at so many kitchen pictures that they are all starting to look the same! I have also been reading this forum and have learned a lot about kitchen design.

We will have a large pantry (6' x 13') adjacent to our kitchen. We plan to use the pantry to store dry/canned goods as well as many of the items that are typically stored in kitchen cabinets. Our plan is to minimize the number of upper cabinets in the kitchen. I am not very tall and upper cabinets are not convenient for me. We will have lower cabinets along each wall in our U-shaped kitchen. We will also have a peninsula with cabinets on both sides. Unfortunately, I have not had much luck finding photos of kitchens that are similar to this style, although I have read that there is a trend toward few or no upper cabinets.

I did see one model home with NO upper cabinets, and it was actually quite lovely. It had a very open feeling.

I might mention that our floor plan is also an open plan so I think the look might work.

My question is: has anyone else minimized the number of upper cabinets in their kitchen? If so, are you happy with it?

Thanks so much for any input!

Comments (23)