SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmfoodie

Seeking layout and cabinet advice (again!)

lmfoodie
14 years ago

HiÂIÂve posted a couple of times before regarding our new kitchen layout, and with your suggestions, weÂre slowly inching toward the final version. Closer, but not there yet! We are limited by the small space--canÂt easily bump out exterior stone walls.

IÂve included here both the layout and three elevations because IÂm trying to decide on cabinet types and sizes. IÂm floundering on that and could use some pointers:

North elevation:

East elevation:

Island, north side (looking toward dining room):

How does it look from a work and traffic flow standpoint?

Is there any way to gain any sort of symmetry to the design?

The second sink opposite the stairs is not meant to be a prep sink, but rather a bar sink for DHÂs monster Italian espresso machine. If I were to keep it near the main sink, it wouldnÂt fit under the upper cabinets, and we need the few uppers we have. I also don't want it sitting in front of the window.

The architect drew in an island that is 4Â9". This seems very wide, no? Is there a way to narrow it at the south end, but still find a way to fill the ensuing gap between the left dining room wall opening?

To clarify the fridge/freezer choice, we ended up putting in a fridge column and under counter freezer because we canÂt go wider than 30" in the fridge. The wall with the dining room has already been pushed south from its current location. (We also have a huge chest freezer in the basement.) It kills me to spend extra on these customized sizes, but I didnÂt want the fridge by the range. Are there other options I havenÂt considered? IÂd also like the fridge to be paneled.

The cabinet (marked "CBNT") to the left of the range is shown encased in drywall. The architect did this, he said, to visually tie it into the necessary beam above. IÂd rather have a plain ol cabinet and regain the extra ~6" in width (this will be our only full height cabinet and will probably serve as a small pantry.) Your thoughts?

I had requested as many drawers as possible, though the architect drew in some cabinets/pullouts. Do the choices look sensible? The one marked blind pullout in the corner will probably have one of those Hafele swing-out thingies. IÂm trying to group and measure what I need to store and where I need to store it, but my needs/stuff might change. Would it be a good idea to have at least a couple of cabinets with adjustable shelves?

I also like the look of glass uppers, maybe a textured glass to obscure cabinet contents. Good or bad idea?

Oh, I almost forgot-currently the north window (old, needs to be replaced)...

Comments (13)