SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organic_lazlo

Tile Countertops...pros, cons...pictures (please).

organic_lazlo
15 years ago

I'd like to hear about people's experiences using large tiles for tile countertops--on the order of 12" square. I've been gathering information and ideas on a variety of materials, as we prepare to talk to several KDs and get estimates. Re tile - on the one hand, my current countertops are indeed tile and I'm not happy at all with them. On the other hand, the tiles are standard 4" square and probably at least 15 to 20 years old. So too many grout lines and aging grout.

I am especially interested in what kind of edge treatments have worked (or not).

Just to put it--my process of making these choices--in context:

- Granite is gorgeous but too formal for my taste, at least in this house. Maybe in the future, elsewhere.

- Practicality says Corian (or another solid surface), but I don't like most of the colors. And if I wanted the look of natural stone, I'd buy natural stone.

- Quartz is a possibility. I keep looking at the glorious apple greens and wonder what it would take to convince dh.... ;-)

- May try to work in a little wood, but we agree we won't do all the countertops in wood.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus