SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianalo_loco

Read this before signing a contract

dianalo
12 years ago

I posted this in another thread, but think it deserves its own mention and title to reach more people.

We met with an atty about suing our gc, but it would cost $5k to hire him, which we would not get back. If the contract had stated that they were due compensation if we breached, then we could have put in for it from them. Sadly, it did not mention that so we'd be out the $5k and there is no guarantee of how much we'd recover. Since we owe the $1,800+, we'd have to recover quite a bit to be worthwhile and that won't happen. We will have to go through consumer affairs and/or small claims court. It will be stressful and laborious, but it should result in some money recovered.

The atty made a great point in that people embark on projects for $100k and up and yet never think to have an atty read and edit the contract. The contractors have used legal advice to draw it up and it is not done to protect the consumer. If I had paid for an hour of the atty's time, I could have prevented a lot of the grief now. Food for thought for anyone thinking of a large renovation. Ours included an extension and renovation and was fairly large in scale. It would have made sense to go into it protected by someone, because we counted on the gc protecting us from others, and that did not come to pass.... then we needed protection from him!

I used to read about others' troubles with their projects and thought that it would never happen to us. We had a contract after all, so what could go so far wrong? It turns out that there is a point that they can walk away and be ahead because the work left is more than the balance (if the homeowner is dumb enough to pay too much, too soon, as I did). Then, they know that when you meet with an atty, it will cost you, so that puts off most people for chasing them, esp if the amount is relatively small. They play the odds. The only time they may not do this is if the homeowner is an atty or has one in the family. In fact, I am wondering if I should have mentioned a fictional best friend or close family member who is an atty...hmmmmmm... In any case, we'd have saved a lot of money if we had paid an atty up front to go over our contract. It would also have shown our gc that we cannot be easily pushed around and may have prevented them from being tempted to walk out on our job.

I'll keep everyone posted on how we proceed, but I sure wish I was posting my finished kitchen rather than pix of the many defects and a saga to go with them!

Comments (15)