SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grlwprls

Show Me Your Home School Room

grlwprls
13 years ago

...especially if it does double duty.

We started homechooling on the fly last January, in the midst of living in a temporary apartment and with no planning, but now we are moved into our permanent remodeled 1887 grocery store (our contractor bailed on the punch list, but...)

So, we have a breakfast room/family meal area/classroom space right behind the kitchen (keeping) room. It's a beautiful, sunny space with in ceiling speakers for some calming music. Nice.

We have bookcases and a storage cabinet that are being delivered from IKEA this Thursday, but right now all that we have in there in a mini fridge, an upholstered banquette from Ballard Designs, a 45" round table from World Market, and two folding chairs (waiting on delivery of permanent chairs).

The trouble is, I feel like we can never get away from the classroom aspect. Does that make sense? There are colored pencils scattered on the table top when dinner time rolls around, a composition marble balancing precariously on the temporary shelf, and a glass dry erase board with a rainbow and teaching notes on the spectrum. Our daughter is 10 so we are doing a more lecture style set up. We were Montessori, so order is really important to me (that's probably why I liked it so much, but on the other hand, it's about the child and her needs in the space more than mine!)

Okay, I just realized that this probably sounds like every house in America (with the exception of the dry erase board!) where homework is being done. But I guess what I am asking for is images of homeschool areas (especially for older kids). Is it okay to hang a framed map on the wall in there? Really embrace it and just eat dinner in an elementary classroom every night? Should I move my computer in there and make it a home office set up as well? Talk about multitasking! :-)

Comment (1)