SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natesg

Show me the front of your home

natesg
8 years ago

Love seeing your living rooms and getting a peek inside. Several years ago we had a thread on the outsides. Please share.

Here's mine, you can see how close we are to our neighbors which often happens in S. Calif.

Comments (58)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    8 years ago

I don't have any good pictures of the house. The first once is from google, taken before we moved in, with very little landscaping. Everything in the other pictures was planted by us.

The view across the road on one side

The deck with pepper tree now planted behind it

• johnsoro25
    8 years ago

I'm glad I took this photo today for this thread. We are about to embark on a massive exterior reconstruction of our landscape, with pool and circular driveway, quite a production. It will be good to have this for posterity.

And since others are including their views, this was a picture taken late March from the back deck:

• Related Discussions

Show me your front pathways

Q

Comments (17)
    cyn427 - sorry, he's my one and only and not available! The granite was his own fault--I saw what he did with it at his house on Mother's Day that year and got me a idea. I asked him where he got it and when he said up at the quarry, my brain started to buzz. The rest, as they say, is history. My front walkway is quite a bit longer than his so I asked him for 2,000 lbs instead of 1,300 which was enough for his needs. The bench was a suggestion by a friend of mine and I'm glad I took her up on it. It's definitely permanent and I don't have to worry about it rusting or rotting away.
    ...See More

Show me your front door decor for Valentines day...

Q

Comments (11)
    There are some really cute heart wreaths in our neighborhood. I still have my Xmas decor up, but wait until the end of January to remove it (I have wreaths with bows on door and windows). I leave my pine boughs in my planter boxes and urns, remove my window wreaths, but change out my door wreath. Metromom, your door decor is adorable.
    ...See More

Show me your glass front cabinets, please :)

Q

Comments (14)
    Danie, I just had someone email me last week about my backsplash so I'll paste here what I replied to her: The tile is tumbled travertine and it's by Tierra Sol. The number on my invoice is NS AN TM RANWH. It was ~$15.00 a square foot. It came in a couple of other neutral-ish colours. The height of the tiles is about 0.75" and the lengths range from 1" to 4". The sample I brought home looked more yellowish in my kitchen than the final product turned out but I've learned to like it and have received many compliments on it--I think in the end it's maybe for the best as there is just SO much cream and yellow everywhere and the backsplash picks up some of the other tones in the granite. We used Mapei C#13 French Vanilla grout (sanded). After installing, I used Stone Tech's Enhancer Pro (an oil-based enhancer) and even though I had read so much about an enhancer, especially an oil-based one, dramatically changing the look of the tile, I really didn't see much of a difference--and I applied a few coats of it. But it must've sealed it well because even tomato sauce wipes off without any problem.
    ...See More

Show me your planters by the front door

Q

Comments (53)
    Sorry to hear that! My Torenia seem to be doing pretty good, but now that it's suddenly in the mid-90s I really have to make sure to keep them watered, especially those in the strong south winds. I nearly lost 3 plants in one day last week when it was so windy outside and I had forgotten about this particular patch Torenias! Zinnia's are a breeze to grow. But you have to deadhead each of the fowers once they start looking haggard. My new friend Zinnia Man would be proud of me. LOL If you keep Z's deadheaded they will put out new flowers and get bushy. And keep them watered if it's hot there. They thrive on FULL sun. I've been growing them for 3 years now and they really are easy. If the impatiens are in the ground they will just sit there until it gets warmer. The one's in pots grow faster but also need more fertilizing. There's a great Annuals Forum here on GW. There's a new Snapdragon topic there! Here is a link that might be useful: Annuals
    ...See More
  • tibbrix
    8 years ago

No pics of the front, but here it is from my lower field

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Gosh, so many gorgeous homes!

Here's our big ol' "box" (that black spot is actually the house number). When DH and I were house hunting he drove right past this one, thinking I wouldn't want to look at something so architecturally - well, boxy. It would not have been my first choice of exterior, but the floor plan was absolutely perfect for us. I never thought I'd be in a big house on a tiny lot, but such is life. Never say never, I'm learning. It's a far cry from our previous cute Tudor cottage, but I'm actually loving this house so very much. I find it hard to leave and just want to be at home these days.

Thankfully, our grass has greened up considerably since this was taken.

• User
    8 years ago

What pretty houses! Like Lynn's, you cannot see all of ours at any one time either. The size from the front is deceiving, but we like it that way.

Back, from down the lake. Taken just after we built, so the silt fence is still installed.

We have water on three sides, so this is only part of our view.

• User
    8 years ago

The front and side entrance to our New Englander in spring

And a peek of our lakehouse exterior with me enjoying the frontage

This stone bridge and brook make up part of our side yard. It's our view from the MBR balcony and pretty much sold me on the property ;)

• rockybird
    8 years ago

These homes are lovely!!!

here is my midcentury home. It's still a work in progress.

Bird in the block:

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

I would kill for Rockybird's lap pool!

are Rocky's wings clipped?

Also, very curious: in the 8th pic from the top, what is the dark brown building in the upper right of the pic? Is that house?

• nhbaskets
    8 years ago

Beautiful homes! This is our former home we lived in for 19 years. Don't miss the driveway!

This is our new home in a 55+ development. Houses are closer together, but I don't miss having to deal with the lawn or driveway. Think I need to take pictures without snow.

One of our neighbors has a drone and takes great aerial shots of our development. Ours is the one in the lower center with the fence in the back.

• rockybird
    8 years ago

@Tibbrix - That bird is actually Zeek. Yes, his wings are clipped. In the 14 yrs. I have had him, he has never flown, even with unclipped wings. He loves to wander and hop though! That being said, I strongly advise anyone taking their bird outside to have it wear a harness!

The brown building is a castle undergoing renovation. It was built by a dentist in the 1960's.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Thanks for the info., Rockybird. Interesting. We had a parrot when I was a kid, "Captain Hook", what else? (snore), and we clipped his wings so that he could hang out outside. But he disappeared one day. We looked and looked, and finally spotted him at the very top of a tree in our teeny, city backyard. He finally came down and promptly died from a cold he got from sitting in that tree!

• scoutfinch72
    8 years ago

This is the back of the house, where we spend most of our time. This is one of the listing pictures and we have since trimmed back that huge shrub:

The front is hard to capture as the north side of the house faces the road and the front of the house faces west:

The real reason we bought the house :)

Our over-the-fence neighbors:

• cubby14
    8 years ago

Here is the one we just closed on, haven't moved in yet have to do some updating first.

• rockybird
    8 years ago

I am so sorry about your bird Tibbrix!

I just love seeing everyone's houses! Beautiful!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

View from the deck last winter

• brdrl
    8 years ago

Your houses are all so beautiful! Rockybird - my antique colonial is the polar opposite of yours but I am obsessed with mid-century lately. I love your home! This is a pic our neighbor took a few months ago of the back (but main entrance is into kitchen is next to garage).

And the front (porch restoration finished but I don't have pic on phone):
    and major snow last year, deck side, this was a mild one...

• jakabedy
    8 years ago

Our front yard is walled, so it's hard to get a shot of "the front". Shots start with the front wall (built from salvaged concrete, RR ties, block and rock) at the street, then the gate to the front, then the house from inside the yard.

• ontariomom
    8 years ago

What a great variety of homes on here.

Annie, do you like your glass railings? We are considering glass railings for our front deck over the garage. Any cons with glass railings aside from the high cost?

Carol

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

Carol, yes we love them. Our view is below and if we had a regular railing, it would really have blocked the view. I hate that when you sit on most decks, the railing is at eye level and you can't see anything. That's why we chose no top railing either. The only cons are that we have had birds fly into them and you have to try to shush the snow under them or lift over the top if you want to clear the deck.

• mojomom
    8 years ago

What great homes and such a wide variety. Here our current 1930s primary house:

And current elevations for the new house plus the creek our porch, living room and MBR will overlook:

High Water:

Low water:

Rear Elevation

Front Elevation

I don't have the latest front elevation, but it we've added a bit more stonework especially on the left side porch.

• stratfordroad
    8 years ago

This year I'm finally updating the front landscaping and the huge juniper on the left was taken out last week. I'll tweak things, adding a bed and replacing some plants that don't work. The back yard landscaping & screen porch are my designs.

• grapefruit1_ar
    8 years ago

Wow....every home is gorgeous.....and very different. Here is an obstructed view.

• grapefruit1_ar
    8 years ago

• sloedjinn
    8 years ago

This is my 'front yard', so to speak. I live in one of the high rises across the street from Grant Part in Chicago. Sadly, my view is to the southwest, not to the east, so I don't get to see it from my window. But I walk home from work through the park most days.

• monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

Gosh, my little house doesn't feel worthy to be among such grandeur, style and character and beautiful landscapes! And your outdoor spaces are just as spectacular! Our is small and plain on the outside BUT PAID FOR :) It's actually been paid for 3x and every time early. The original build, the addition and a major remodel in 2007. We built this starter home 35 years ago when we were 21 and 22 and pregnant. Needless to say, we like it here <g>

sloedjinn...uh, WOW!

rockybird...the first post I remember seeing from you was the pool renovation. I can't believe the transformation to the entire property! Congrats!

scoutfinch72...I have horsey neighbors too :) Horses on one side and cows on the other, well cows ALL around. Much prefer them over the two legged neighbors!

TR, lol, I was looking at everyone's homes from the bottom (last post) up. When I saw yours (without knowing who's it was), I said "well that's a Texas home!"...sure enough, it was :)

my3dogs...I've said it before, I want YOUR backyard view!

raphaellathespanishwaterdog...I don't recall what thread it was but back in Feb, there was a thread that contained pictures of people's dogs. They weren't the topic however. My 11 year old chocolate Lab had just died in my arms. A part of me died with her :( I couldn't imagine life without a dog but I couldn't imagine life with any dog other than Carly. I LOVED your Spanish Water dog! I spent hours looking at them on line. Three weeks ago tonight, during a severe storm complete with tornadoes, a dog showed up on our patio. He was shivering, scared, wet, starved, covered in fleas, most likely wormy, and had been shot. I dried him, fed him warm milk and scraps, held him till he stopped shaking and in under 15 minutes he was asleep on my feet :) I never thought we'd ever be fortunate enough to find another dog that had the sweet, gentle, kind spirit that Carly did. But Howie (the grandbabies named him) does and I'm totally in love! God and Carly make a good team...they knew I needed another dog even tho I didn't feel I was ready. So my patio doesn't stay as clean, neither do I for that matter, but I have the love of a GOOD dog and feel so very blessed that he chose OUR house to seek shelter from the storm. He's got an appt tomorrow for shots and neutering. House and dog pix taken with my new Galaxy S7. Awesome cam!

Our granddaughter and her best friend, one of our horsey neighbors

Howie's first day at his new 4EVER home

Few days ago

• amykath
    8 years ago

Each and every house posted here is amazing! I do not have a current photo of the front of our house. We built a year ago and still have to landscape the front. I just wanted to say how jealous I am of all of your homes! Wow!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    8 years ago

I agree with 'ak' - I so enjoy seeing the diversity of our homes, and they are obviously loved and enjoyed, which is just what a home should be.

And, for this dog lover, seeing Howie and hearing his story is the best way that I could have started my day.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

Love the Howie story! Congratulations on the new fur baby!

• User
    8 years ago

Lucky Howie! Lucky you!

monicakm, that pic of your DGD with the neighbor horse is priceless.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

I love seeing all these beautiful and diverse places we call home. Keep 'em coming!

I can't get a great photo without standing in the woods but here are a couple from 2 perspectives of our home on our little farmette in the Alabama country.

And a panoramic shot from the other corner.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

This is the original section of my little four-square bungalow. The PO added the section on the left, and we added the section on the right side.

A different perspective--the peaked roof on the back corresponds with the original section in the above pic.

• cattyles
    8 years ago

Thank you to everyone for sharing pictures of your house. I love seeing how different and interesting they all are. To me, it represents the diversity of those here and why it's such a great place for advice or just to hang out. :-)

My house has a 600 sq. ft. guest house behind it (we call them MIL houses here in west Texas). The little house for my dad and the trees were the reasons I bought the house. I renovated the guest house for my dad. I haven't been able to do a thing yet to the main house, but I keep hanging out here to get ideas for when I am able to.

• raphaellathespanishwaterdog
    8 years ago

Monica, yes I do remember that thread......I'm so happy for you, your family and most importantly for Howie, bless him, that you've found each other - what a wonderful story xxx

• cattyles
    8 years ago

Monica, I love Howie's story! I'm so glad you saved each other.

• prairiemom61
    8 years ago

Our home in the Flint Hills of Kansas. We finally have a sunny day after a week of rain.

We just replaced the porch posts and railings. We used treated pine turned posts set in PVC plinth blocks to prevent wicking and bottom rot. We used TimberTech (Azek) railing system. Love it, the way it installs and it doesn't look like plastic. And best of all, no more painting! 21 years was enough!

Our view from the front porch. We overlook a pretty valley with hills all around. Of course pictures don't do it justice. There are more trees than you'd think but the pastures and newly planted fields are gorgeous right now. Our living room and kitchen windows look out on this view. I don't mind kitchen duty!

• LynnNM
    8 years ago

Prariemom, I LOVE your beautiful home! If I could replicate it and plop it down on the shore of one of my beloved Michigan lakes, it would be my dream home. Your long front porch is wonderful, BTW, and so are your views.

• prairiemom61
    8 years ago

Thanks Lynn. we too wish we had lakefront! We are an hour from any decent sized lake. But we own a big pond with a beach and dock nearby that is strictly for swimming, canoeing and fishing and the 7 grandsons love it!
    I love your NM home too. We've never been to the SW but it's on our list of places to visit soon.

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

We're in an ellipse of grass surrounded by woods, 450 feet from the street.

• msmeow
    8 years ago

Ah, I envy all of you who have space around you! My dream home location is a house plopped in the center of about five acres with a wall all the way around. Comes from living in central FL all my life. People just keep coming and coming...

Donna

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    8 years ago

This is the back of the house looking out. Can't find one looking at the back of the house.
    Still have to update landscaping - had all of the old shrubs removed.

• kitchen
    8 years ago

Johnsoro25 you have my dream house!

• User
    8 years ago

Wow, All these homes are so beautiful and amazing, it's a bit intimidating posting but here's our little piece of heaven.

Like NHbaskets, our drive used to be straight and quite steep, we added some curves and length to it so it was more managable, though still a bear in the winters.

• Bonnie
    8 years ago

What a fun thread. So many beautiful homes of various styles. I enjoy the regional nuances. Here's our humble abode of 30+ years, where we raised our family:

And our vacation house, where we are making memories:

• User
    8 years ago

Oh Bonnie_Ann you're house is really enchanting, I love the garden and walking path.

• MagdalenaLee
    8 years ago

I can't tell ya how much I'm enjoying these "show me" threads!

Here is mine in Central Texas. We've had a lot of rain lately, so don't let all the green stuff fool you.

I took these after it rained:

Outdoor shower. I'm heading that way right after I post this!

Our peach trees have never produced some much fruit before. Mom's coming over this week to pick a bunch for preserves.

• satine_gw
    8 years ago

Wow,just Wow. You all have beautiful homes.

• johnsoro25
    8 years ago

Kitchen- thank you!

It is so fun looking at all these pictures :)

• nini804
    8 years ago

These are both older pics....our landscaping has matured and we are currently in the middle of a landscape/hardscape project in the backyard.

Front (there is an identical wing on the left side that doesn't show in this pic):

And here is back...the patio is currently getting expanded with an outdoor kitchen and a gas fire pit with seating wall. This photo is a couple of years old.

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

Here's our beachhouse, but it's a before. It's all I have on this laptop.

PS Can someone remind me how to load photos from photobucket?

• natesg
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone for sharing your homes. It's fun to imagine starting over and wondering which style I would like to try. Only in my dreams.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals