SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nadine33_gw

Buffet/Credenza and desk question (Pics)

nadine33
11 years ago

So we need to add some more storage in our kitchen eating area along with a desk. This area is also our entrance/exit to the garage so it's used everyday. I would like to add some cabinets to hold some of our larger kitchen platters, along as being a make-shift mudroom to hold things we need to grab and go (library books, sports gear, grocery reusable bags) and also a place to drop off mail, charge phones etc etc. As you'll see in the pics, right now we have a cubby piece, a coffee table, a bookcase, and some boxes. I'm thinking of 2 base kitchen style cabinets immediately to the right of the doorway and then a kneehole for the desk and a small cabinet right next to the wall to serve as desk storage. I'd prefer to have the desk regular height and the cabinets counter height. However, I'm struggling with the design for this. I was kind of hoping not to get the same cabinets as the kitchen and I'd prefer not to have to pay for matching granite countertop. We've searched around and were at IKEA today. However I just couldn't decide upon a cabinet color and countertop color. Can anyone give me some ideas? I've also thought about buying a buffet/credenza piece and a desk and just sitting them next to each other, but not sure that will look best. Here are some pics (please ignore the messy kitchen).P.s. We'll be upgrading to red leather barstools in teh near future. The wall is 9'4" long.

Kitchen area:

Eating area along with garage entrance:

Close up wall:

Some ideas I found online

cabinets next to desk (not style or color we want, just design idea)

Contemporary Kitchen design by Seattle Architect David Neiman Architects

I like the look of this but we'd need to add the desk and again not white cabinets

Traditional Dining Room design by Seattle Kitchen And Bath Warmington & North

This kind of has the cabinet and the desk in the same orientation we wnat

Traditional Kitchen design by Los Angeles Interior Designer Elaine Morrison Interiors

I like the desk being a different height form the cabinets next to it:

Traditional Kitchen design by San Francisco Architect Gast Architects

BUt nothing exactly what I wnat...

Comments (12)