SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakabedy_gw

Microwave inside pantry or under counter - will we hate it?

15 years ago

I tried to search for prior posts, but couldn't find anything directly on point. Our microwave currently sits on the counter to the left of the range, under some upper cabinets. In the reno, all the upper cabinets will be gone, and I would love for the micro to be gone, too. It is just us two adults (43 and 56), no kidlets to consider.

We both work, so it would get used maybe once in the morning and a few times each night, depending on what was for dinner.

Options I see:

1) OTR microwave. Ruled out d/t design -- we're making the hood/backsplash a focal point.

2) Leave it where it is because I can't make a decision. DH has already ruled out this possiblity, as he knows I will do nothing but #*&^* about it.

3) Standard micro on a shelf among the base cabinets. Pros - can use same micro, easy to swap out when it breaks. Cons - bending over to use, controls not designed for that angle of use, lighting issues.

4) New micro drawers. This is still a possibility, and DH likes the gadget factor of this option. But between the unit itself and the hack necessary for the (IKEA) install, it will add about $1,000 to the reno cost, easily. Pros - functionality and grooviness. Cons - initial cost and eventual replacement cost.

5) Put a standard micro inside the existing pantry. This is not a walk-in, but has a regular 3' x 7' door on it. Pros - little initial cost. Cons - having to open and close the pantry (where garbage also is) to use the micro.

For options 3, 4 and 5 the cost of getting the power to the micro is a wash. Also, we will have plenty of storage no matter where the micro ends up, so that doesn't put one location ahead of the other.

So, what has your experience been? Thank you so much!

Comments (20)