SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue_brunette

Help me choose a hood insert

I'm having trouble finding an insert to fit my 42" wide hood. My cabinet maker will be building the mantle style hood so I need to find an insert. I will have a 36" induction cooktop so I know I don't need a ton of CFM. Our building code requires active make up air if the cfm is over 300. My concern is that most of the inserts I find with 300cfm or less don't seem like they could do the job. The actual filter or baffle area seems so small. I had been set on a Kobe insert which got good recommendations here but unfortunately it has 385-700 cfm. I did see a Vent-a-Hood model that was 300 cfm but have mixed feelings about them. Maybe it just seems silly to me to pay so much for a 300 cfm hood when I could get a more powerful, and quieter, one for less or similar cost.

We plan to vent straight up through the attic to exhaust at the roof so the vent run won't be very long.

Other concerns: the insert has to be at least 30" above the cooktop for code and due to the style of hood, it is more likely going to be 32" above. Will a 300 cfm insert that has a small filter area(aprox. 25 x 7 or 26 x 9)set at 32" high be effective enough? My counter tops will also be deeper than standard at 29" at the cooktop.

Am I worrying too much about this? I currently do not have a hood over my stove and can't stand the smell of foods hanging around the next day. I would be very unhappy if my new hood doesn't pull the odors out effectively, but don't want to have to go to the expense of adding active make up air if it won't be necessary. It certainly doesn't help that there are not many places that have hood inserts to look at and actually hear them on.

Those of you with 300 or less cfm hoods, how effective are they for you? How big is the actual filter area? How high above the cooktop are they mounted? Help!

Comments (10)