SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rovo_gw

Budget Kitchen Facelift: WWYD (Picture heavy)

rovo
11 years ago

After lurking and drooling for months over all of your beautiful kitchens, I think I have a good idea of the look I'm after for my own budget kitchen facelift but would love input of the experts here. Our budget is miniscule (around 10K), but we plan to DIY as much as possible and hope to have our own little slice of kitchen heaven soon :) Any and all advice is welcome!

Background: Our home is a typical mid-priced, millenial era California open floor plan with high ceilings, tons of windows, and angled walls. Absolutely everything was, and still is mostly builder grade, but we are personalizing it step by step. The kitchen area itself is quite small (around 10' by 6'), but is open to a nook and family room and is functional IMHO. Here is a view looking out onto the nook and family room:

I do almost all of our cooking from scratch for my young kiddos with multiple food allergies, so I want function first. I would really love either more cooktop burner space (but would have to be a 30" due to cabinetry constraints) or a pro style range with 2 ovens, but I don't want to enclose the space further. Here is a view looking straight into into the kitchen as you enter from the entryway:

And one from the nook into the kitchen:

Clearly, not a beauty at this point. I don't think the layout can be altered given the space constraints and our budget, so I'll need to be creative in making this work. So far, I'm leaning towards:

~Replacing the flooring with engineered wood (DIY)

~ Hand painting the orangey maple cabinets a creamy/off white and replacing all hardware with pulls. (However, I need the cabs to be durable and not look cheap, so I'm nervous about this)

~Replacing the microwave with a vent hood(that wall backs to a bedroom, but does have venting so I'm not sure whether correct venting is in place) or a speed oven. I could really use the extra oven space, as I only have room for either one range or cooktop over a range, which is silly but streamlined.

~Replacing tile countertops with either butcherblock (DIY that we hire somebody to cut) or with a quartz, the only one of which I like is Cambria's Torquay. I adore both marble and soapstone, but installation of marble is quite expensive here and I'm not sure the etching would work for me, and soapstone might darken the kitchen too much (and is also expensive).

I think my tastes lean toward natural surfaces and homey/casual. I love many of the all white kitchens here and could see doing that in this space, but could love bb counters, too, and would love the additional savings.

So, any recommendations regarding the range vs cooktop over oven, countertop choices, and speed oven vs vent hood/whatever else comes to mind would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations