SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tucker_zoey

Kohler Simplice pulldown faucet info needed

Tucker Zoey
14 years ago

I am a long time lurker planning a complete remodeling of our 41 year old kitchen. This forum has been of enormous help to me in sorting out the options and visualizing the possibilities. What a great group!

I am considering the Kohler Simplice pulldown faucet for my prep sink. If any of you have this faucet, can you tell me if you can select the spray setting and it will stay on, or do you need to hold the button to keep the spray running? Also, have you had any problems with this faucet? Are there any deficits I should know about?

Thanks in advance for any info you can pass along to me.

Comments (32)

• rhome410
    14 years ago

We have the larger of the 2 Simplice models at our main sink...I'm not sure which you're considering, or if there is any difference, but our spray stays on after pushing the button with no need to hold it...Even when you turn off the faucet and turn it back on. (Sometimes the kids do that and it's a surprise) We've been using ours for 16 months in a very busy kitchen and haven't had one bit of trouble. I have absolutely no regrets about this choice.

• Tucker Zoey
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm encouraged by your good experience with this faucet. The Simplice model I am considering for the prep sink is the same size and design as the large one, but it has an 8" reach rather than a 9" reach. From what I've seen on the Kohler site, it looks attractive and the price is reasonable. Can't beat that combination.

Thanks for your help, rhome410.

Sarah

• Related Discussions

Need list of metal pulldown kitchen faucets

Q

Comments (6)
    Wrapped in metal? My Price Pfister is. It's going to depend on models. I've seen some Kohler and Grohe that are metal. Also with steel wrapped hose and not plastic. But again it depends on model.
    ...See More

Need a short pulldown faucet, recommendations please

Q

Comments (5)
    The faucet in Cll2008's link is a pullout faucet, not a pull down. Would you be OK with a pullout? Pulldowns usually have to be taller b/c they pull down and they need to be high enough to allow room for the faucet head to be pulled down. Pullouts, OTOH, are generally lower b/c they do not need the extra space for the faucet head's movement. Note that they will also generally have a longer reach than a pulldown when pulled out completely. If you really want a pulldown faucet, I'm sure there are some out there shorter than the Vinnata--but I don't know how much shorter. If you're OK with a pullout, your options will be greatly expanded. We are putting the Kohler Vinnata on our main sink. Our prep sink, though, will have the pullout Kohler Fairfax. To me, the Fairfax has an "old world" or "traditional" feel--which is what I want. HTH! Here is a link that might be useful: Fairfax® single-control kitchen sink faucet (K-12177)
    ...See More

Kohler Simplice -- please comment if you have one

Q

Comments (8)
    We've been in our house for over 2 years and love our Simplice. I got a different faucet for the prep sink, which is OK, but if I had it to do over, there would be a Simplice in each spot. The only reason there is ever splashes, I admit, is user-error in our case...Holding things up too high in the stream just because the faucet itself is higher. I like the spray option (which our prep sink faucet doesn't have), that it will stay on if you want it to, and also the pause button, which I didn't even realize it had until after we'd had it a year! Also, the head always returns nicely into place after pulling it down. We have a different soap dispenser, so can't speak to the one that might come with a Simplice.
    ...See More

Kohler simplice faucet problems

Q

Comments (5)
    It's so weird you should say that. All my Kohler faucets in my last house would not produce cold water either. My old plumber said it was because "you can't get cold water in New Orleans." I never even considered it had something to do with the faucet(s). I have no assistance, just one of those moments that make you go "hmmmm."
    ...See More
  • rhome410
    14 years ago

From what I've seen on the Kohler site, it looks attractive and the price is reasonable. Can't beat that combination.

That's exactly what I thought and why I chose it, and like I said, it hasn't disappointed us. If I hadn't already bought a faucet for our prep sink, I would have gotten the smaller size for that.

• socalusa
    14 years ago

We now have the smaller prep sink size SS Simplice on our main sink. I originally brought home the larger faucet and didn't care for the way it "comandeered" the counter/sink space and we have a rather large single Silgranit sink. It also tended to splash up toward the front of the sink more at higher pressures.

My friend had bought the smaller one for her prep sink (we have commiserated regularly about this roller coaster ride called a kitchen remodel we've be both been on,) but they were about a month out from needing their's, so she let me take it and try it.

All I can say is that I'm glad we made the change. The faucet is solid, has elegant, clean lines and has a spray that stays on if you want it to or off if not. The braided hose is smooth, not particularly long - but does everything I've needed it to do, docking solidly after it has been extended.

• ccoombs1
    14 years ago

I have both sized....one on my regular sink and one on the prep sink. Honestly I don't even notice the size difference between them because it is so subtle. I really like them though!

• pondbucket
    14 years ago

Help. Why does Kohler call this a "secondary sink" faucet?

• ccoombs1
    14 years ago

They call it that because it is scaled down a little bit for secondary sinks. It's an inch shorter than the larger one. Otherwise they look identical.

• rnest44
    14 years ago

Kohler uses the same spec sheet for both faucets but states that the prep faucet is shorter by less than an inch and the spout reach is less by an inch. They look identical but do they function identically?

Timely thread, I'm ordering sinks and faucets this week.

• Tucker Zoey
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the helpful information, everyone!

• kitchenredo2
    14 years ago

I have both and love them. Even better, I purchased one of them at Home Depot or Lowes and saved $$ (was less than best price I found on the internet).

• oviedo_resident
    14 years ago

Hi,
    I think I have finally narrowed down my faucet choices to either the Kohler Simplice or the Delta Grail.... Lowes has the Simplice with an integrated handle (it's hard to find any pictures of this online!), which looks pretty neat, or I can go with the regular Simplice. I like the styling of both of these faucets, however.

Question: is there any difference between a Kohler purchased at Lowes or Home Depot and a Kohler purchased from a plumbing supply house?

Thank you for your response....
    or

• merimom
    14 years ago

Can't answer the latest question for certain, but I would assume they were the same as long as they had the same model number.

I just bought my Kohler Simplice with integrated handle from Home Depot for $218. After about 2 weeks, I must say I like it so far. We had a Hansgrohe Allegro from Costco, but once we got the countertop and sink in, the faucet just seemed too big for our sink (glad Costco has a great return policy!). I was going to get a different Hansgrohe faucet for $375, but then my husband suggested we try the Kohler Simplice. The Hansgrohe did feel more substantial and came with steel braided hoses, but I think the Kohler is a good faucet for the price. I like that it stays on high-spray without holding the button (you had to hold the Hansgrohe to keep it on high). No problems with the pull down retracting back up. (I do like that Delta magnet idea...Why don't they all do that? but so far no problems here).

• kitchendude_hiw
    14 years ago

oviedo_resident, for the same model faucet, there is no difference between a Kohler faucet bought at Lowe's or HD and one bought at a plumbing supply house. Kohler doesn't know where they are going when they manufacture them.

• eks6426
    14 years ago

Does the integrated handle Kohler Simplice allow the head to be angled while docked like the Vinnata?

• countrygal_905
    14 years ago

Does anybody have a preference over the vibrant stainless or polished chrome? Online it's hard to tell the difference.

• ahmuledeer
    14 years ago

I recently had the Kohler Simplice faucet professionally installed. It has two problems, both evident from the first day.

1. When the faucet is first turned on after being off for a while, a glass of water will have a head on it like a glass of beer. The bubbles dissipate over about 30 seconds. The second glass has a smaller head, which dissipates over about 5 seconds. Subsequent glasses of water do not have a head. The water in the first glass smells and tastes like some kind of solvent. No other faucets in the house have this problem. Our water comes from a well. What is in the water that causes the bubbles and the odor, and how does it get there?

2. About once out of ten times when the faucet has been on for 20 to 30 seconds, it emits about a tablespoon of water from the top of the control handle; sometimes it comes out the front and sometimes out the back. How can this be stopped?

Thanks.

• irish_eyes_13
    13 years ago

Does anyone have problems with this faucet causing splashing when the water hits the sink? I'm considering the secondary one for our main sink because the sink isn't that large but am also considering the Delta Talbott. When I have read the reviews on line there is mention of oversplash on the Simplice and also the head of faucet doesn't always re-set completely when it retracts. I prefer the look of the Simplice but wanted to see if any of these problems have been experienced by anyone who has experience with the Simplice. TIA.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

The post from May 13th is an eye-opener.

There are MANY other faucet manufacturers.
    There are many other faucets like the Simplice or Talbott.

• Suzy
    13 years ago

we got the simplice in our main & prep sink. i'm wondering if it's normal that we have to push it back in for it to retract. it doesn't slide smoothly back in. is this the way it's supposed to be?

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Srg215, Our Simplice retracts just fine...No pushing. Do you have the weight adjusted right and making sure the hose isn't catching on things underneath the sink?

We have had NONE of the problems cited in the May 13 post...So I don't know if it should indicate anything about the whole reputation of the model, or just a problem with that one.

With any faucet water can splash when it hits the sink, can't it...How deep is the sink? How strong is the water on? I've never understood the splashing complaints, because the only time we have splashing is user error...Putting hands or other objects up too far in the stream because of the height of the faucet. Not trashing the opinion of others, just stating our experience.

• irish_eyes_13
    13 years ago

rhome410, thanks for your reply. That is, I guess, why I posed the question about splashing. The sink we are installing is SS and is 10 inches deep but only 21 inches wide. I have read on several threads about splashing with many different models and I don't want to install a faucet which is too powerful for the size of the sink...if that is even possible. It's the main sink which will certainly be larger than most prep sinks and the Simplice model we are considering is for the secondary/prep sink which is an inch shorter. Wasn't sure if the splash was occurring when the water hit the sink. This is something I want to avoid.

I really like the look of the Simplice but have seen a few comments about having to push the nozzle back into place. I , too wonder if the weight isn't properly placed.

The Delta line is magnetic so these pulldowns don't appear to have the problem at all.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any local kitchen design stores which have these models hooked up to water for demonstration and want to knock this item off my check list.

• catmom11746
    13 years ago

I had the exact same problem as the May 13th post. We had our Simplice installed in January. About three weeks ago, we started getting a dense foam along with a chemical odor when we first turned it on. This would get less the longer the water ran, but returned if the water was off for a while and then turned back on.

We didn't know what was causing this and were very concerned because I am currently breastfeeding our 11-week old daughter and am drinking a LOT of water. We contacted the municipal water authority. They tested our water and found nothing. So the problem was internal. My husband then tried the faucet in several other sinks - we only got the foam and odor when water came through this faucet, no matter what location in the house.

Not sure what to do next, we bought and installed a new faucet yesterday (nothing fancy, in case there was a chance to salvage our Simplice). Today, my husband called Kohler to run the issue past them. They were well aware of the problem and, without being asked, said that they would send us a whole new faucet. According to the customer service rep, there is something breaking down in one of the hoses that creates this "soap-like" foam and odor.

Concerned and curious, my husband asked for some details on this breakdown. The rep transferred him (never a reassuring sign). The next person stated that the issue had been tested and that everything was safe. When asked for more detail, she said that she had previously asked engineering for the report and still hadn't received it. My husband asked for anything they had to be sent to him, via e-mail.

Needless to say, we are concerned. There is no mention of this issue on Kohler's website. They are willing to replace a fairly costly product without even being asked. They don't have the test results readily available. One would think that if they were "all clear" results, the company would be very willing and quick to share them.

So, we will wait and see what we find out. I'm still very upset because I don't know what was in my water for the last four months of my pregnancy or the first three months of my daughter's life.

• joep_2009
    13 years ago

Bumping this thread. We have a simplice too this has me concerned as my wife is pregnant. We tested ours and it doesn't seem to have the above mentioned problems.

Catmom, please keep us posted if Kohler does send you more info. Thanks!

• shelly_k
    13 years ago

I have the Simplice bar/prep (smaller one) at my laundry sink. Only one week use, but so far it is great. No problems and I love the toggle switch and the pause feature.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

a friend has this faucet. He says the pause button is very handy.

• catmom11746
    13 years ago

I will definitely post a message regarding what, if anything, we find out from Kohler about the rubber hose breakdown issue. Again, it is pretty troubling that they are aware of this and it is enough of a problem that they are replacing the whole faucet - we didn't even have to ask for that. At the very least, they should post some kind of notice on their website so that people who experience this problem know what it is and what to do. Who knows, maybe even a recall?

I get sick just thinking about what I drank and passed along to my baby before and after she was born. Nothing that smells like that - like detergent/solvent - can be good for you. We will definitely pursue this until we get answers.

• catmom11746
    13 years ago

bumping for safety's safe

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Certainly sounds like a recall would be in order. I wonder if all Simplices are subject to this or only some made at a certain time, certain models, etc. As I said, ours has been in heavy operation since Feb 2008 without foaming or chemical odor or taste. I will keep my eye out in my sink and will watch for updates here, too!

• miconsumer
    13 years ago

I just discovered this thread while doing a Google search of "Kohler faucet foaming problems." We purchased a Kohler Forte faucet from Home Depot at the end of April. About one month later we started noticing foam in the water but it cleared after running for 1-2 seconds. We assumed it was air bubbles. However, the problem progressed and whenever we first turned on the water, there was the unmistakeable chemical odor and taste - much like a new garden hose smell. This alarmed my husband and I because we have a new baby and I was breastfeeding and mixing formula with water from our kitchen sink. We stopped using the faucet, which was a huge inconvenience.

Once we deterined this was not an issue with our water, I called Kohler in early June to complain and yes, they were already well aware of the problem. I spoke to a service rep named Laura who promptly sent us a new faucet and assured me the new faucet would not have this problem. Keep in mind that with a new baby, my husband had much better things to do than install yet another kitchen faucet.

Well, it's been just over a month since installing the new faucet and guess what? It's starting to foam again. I am so disgusted with Kohler and will NEVER buy another one of their faucets again. I called a service rep again this morning, and she told me that "Kohler is still working on the problem, so the faucets are still doing that." What? That's not what I was told in June when I was shipped a new and improved faucet. I told this rep, Angela, that I had no desire to receive a new faucet and that I wanted a refund so I could buy a different brand faucet that does not leach chemicals into our water. She was very pleasant, and requested I fax a copy of my original sales receipt to a manager who will follow up with me and supposedly, will issue me a refund. I will follow up with my results and post.

To everyone else who recently purchased a Kohler faucet: keep an eye on your water. I think a recall is in order.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

By email, I have received inaccurate answers, that contradict the answers given by another answerer, when I have submitted the same question on different days.

It's like an Alice in Wonderland movie, but you have no clues as to which of the answers is the right one. Ultimately, one of the answers will be the right one, and if you send them email informing them of the various answers you have received, someone at Kohler will send you an email to tell you that "this" one is the right answer. (!) It happened to me.

They certainly are pleasant on the phone. I can vouch for the fact that Kohler employees often give different answers on the phone, too. This also happened to me, before I decided to use email to keep track of what I was told.

Both circumstances that I describe above happened less than six months ago. Perhaps the company is now well run. Things might improve. It's always good to have an optimistic attitude.

My questions were about features, prior to purchase.

The concern above is more threatening.
    Perhaps plumbers know what the substance is.
    It may be a Chinese valve that has a lot of lubricant smooshed into it.
    Do we know whether Chinese health authorities are serious about overseeing this?
    Someone has to look into this.
    If it's a petroleum-based lubricant factory installed in the valve, what is it?
    How can we be sure that it is safe and that the factory is using only that?

--

• handyguy_2010
    13 years ago

I have same bubbles/smell problem with my Moen pullout. They sent a new hose but same problem. Now they will send me new fixture but not a pullout as they are concerned that any of their pullouts will have same problem. May have my water tested to see what my children may have had to drink by mistake. WE mention this issue in recent podcast.

Here is a link that might be useful: podcast

• ablisook_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Another foaming Simplice faucet. I bought it from Home Depot about 8 months ago and it recently exhibited the foaming problem. The tag on the cold water line bears the date 3/2/10. Kohler replaced the entire unit and said that all hoses were of the same construction so that I could not just replace the spray head hose. Once I installed the new faucet I tried the old spray head on it, and it did not foam, so it would seem that the problem is not the lead free brass as some have reported. I'll see what happens in 8 months.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm