SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julize_gw

To backsplash or not to backsplash...

julize
12 years ago

Our contractor is tentatively scheduled to start work on our kitchen next week and we have yet to decide on backsplash tile or if we even want a backsplash at all.

Just for some background: the kitchen is small and L-shaped with an attached breakfast room. The only windows are in the breakfast room, so unfortunately the kitchen doesn't get much natural light. Our cabinets will be white (not off-white) beaded inset and we're going with soapstone for the counters. The faucet will be polished chrome and the hardware (which we haven't picked yet either) will likely be chrome or stainless. Appliances will be stainless as well, and I think we've decided to go with hardwood flooring that matches the original red oak in the remainder of the house. We haven't picked wall color yet but it will probably be a light beige or green.

Here's the dilemma. I've always assumed we would go with white subway tile for the backsplash but lately, the more I think about it the more I'm concerned that this will make the kitchen too stark and cold. I know it can be livened up considerably with the right accessories but...I don't know, I'm still concerned. I just want to be sure our kitchen is a warm and inviting place. I'm thinking maybe something like this with just the painted wall and a lip on the soapstone?

Or do you think it would be better to do a backsplash with a little color in it. Maybe something like this:

Or am I dismissing the white subway too quickly?

Assuming we were to go with just the painted wall do you think we'd still need to do something above the stove? We'll have the microwave there rather than a hood, so the pics above obviously aren't a great depiction of what our actual kitchen would look like (I wish--ha, ha). I'm guessing the stove we pick will also have that small piece that sticks up in the back--not sure if there's a term for it--so maybe that makes a difference RE: the need for a backsplash? Unfortunately, DH has vetoed the stainless steel look that's in pic #1 above.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (13)