SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annac54

Progress (Granite In), and, of course, B/S decision

annac54
12 years ago

I've been semi-lurking here for several months and have enjoyed and appreciated all the great information and advice given on this forum.

We've been doing a facelift/mini-remodel since spring. The general plan was to slightly reconfigure some of the cabinetry, buy new doors, strip and refinish the existing cabinets and put on new countertops.

Our first re-finisher's attempt was a distaster, and took 2 months of hard work by DH to get it back to a point where someone else could give it a try. We decided that the first contractor probably didn't have the expertise to correct the damage. Our second finisher did a wonderful job, and the granite was finally installed last week. The cabinet doors/drawers will be installed in a couple of weeks.

Now, like many others here, we are faced with choosing the backsplash. I just didn't feel like I could make a good decision until I saw the cabinets re-done and the granite in place.

We want to go with a rectangular subway shape. I've got some samples of honed crema marfil that is probably the leading candidate at this point, but am considering a matte ceramic or possibly crackle tile also. I would like to jazz it up a bit though, without making it too busy, maybe with some sort of border or a few accents. I love glass tile, but it may look a little to modern for the generally traditional style we have. A stainless hood will be going above the range and we plan to tile all the way up behind it. Any suggestions would be welcome, and thanks in advance.

Original kitchen with yellowed clear maple cabinets and badly done white builder's tile counters:

New version:

New doors:

Marble subway tile:

Seafoam green granite:

Comments (8)