SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matryoshka7

FD refrigerator help - GE 22 cu. foot or??

Matryoshka7
10 years ago

I want to replace my old Amana bottom-freezer fridge with a French door fridge. It has to fit my old 33" opening.

I've heard really good things about the Samsung, but the smaller ones that fit my space don't appear to have adjustable shelves, have 2-4 cu. feet less space than others that will fit my space, and in the one I looked at in Sears (18 cu. feet, I think), the drawers won't open if only one door is opened. There are almost no FD fridges on the floor at Sears that fit my space (and less elsewhere), so I need to rely on incomplete pictures to try to figure out which might work.

The Kenmores seem okay - SIL has one - buy my hubby doesn't like that the drawers in the freezer are made of mesh and don't have any sides - he thinks this allows too much cold air to escape.

On the Sears website, the GE actually has the highest positive rating (but I never see it talked about elsewhere?). It looks like its shelves are adjustable, and that I can fit what I need in the door.

I can't, however, find any picture of the freezer compartment in the GE. Does the icemaker take up a lot of space? (I really don't need an icemaker, but apparently I can't buy a new fridge without one). A couple of reviews say the freezer drawer is hard to open/close and can stick, but other reviews don't mention that, so maybe they had bad luck?

How about the finish? I could go with white or black. What is most important is easy to keep clean.

If anyone has this GE, could you confirm that you can open one door and still open the drawer on that size? If you've had it a while, how has it held up?

Or is there another great FD fridge in this size anyone could recommend?

Comments (11)