SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ct_newbie

Catalytic lacquer finish vs. Catalytic varnish finish for white

CT_Newbie
10 years ago

Hi! What are the pros/cons of catalytic lacquer finish vs. catalytic varnish finish for white cabinets? The local guy uses the lacquer finish and said he wouldn't use varnish, but I don't recall the reasoning. The WM/BH and I think Rutt, uses catalytic varnish finish and they said that the lacquer could get gummy in 3-5 years and that causes it to look like dirt around the knobs. He did say, they could have improved the technique. What are the pros and cons of both? We have toddlers and want something durable.

Are both of these used with paint colors we pick out and do they have low VOC options? Is there such thing as a white stain? What are the pros and cons of it if it exists? The WM guy said they use paint but it was sort of like a stain.

We have toddlers and our walls have taken a beating. Most people we talk to seem to think we should stay away from hand painted. One local mfgr does only hand painted and said she has multiple protective coats on it. I've also read that the factory finish can chip and then we have to replace a whole door whereas hand painted is easier to touch up.

Please explain? It would help us get closer to choosing someone.

Thanks

Comment

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus