SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maybeiloveyou

kitchen lighting mess... need help or ideas!!

maybeiloveyou
12 years ago

Long story short, we replaced our large fluorescent light with two track lights. This gives us the "warm" look we desired, but it casts AWFUL shadows everywhere. When we cook, we are standing in our shadows. The kitchen constantly looks as though it's nighttime, regardless of the actual hour outside. The track lights take 50w halogen bulbs, which are already in there.

Kitchen with fluorescent

Kitchen with track lights

I have NO CLUE what to do to fix this. I was thinking of 4 recessed lights (roughly in the corners, but spaced to account for lighting/cabinets/counters) to combat the shadowing/darkness. Will this work? Or we can possibly remove the middle light and make it 5 recessed lights?

The cheapest option is, I guess, to go back to the fluorescent tubes. But those are so ugly and who even has those anymore :(

I just have no clue what to do. Maybe someone here has some ideas? (PLEASE!) Our kitchen is roughly 9 x 10, thus needs 3150 lumens. I believe with the lights we have, we are already getting enough light, but the setup makes everything awful. UGH.

I have also posted this in lighting and davidtay gave some helpful tips. The original thread in lighting: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lighting/msg0700001417435.html?17291

Comments (9)