SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
needsometips08

Do kitchen windows have to match the scale of the room?

14 years ago

I love the look of one wall having no uppers and being a bank of windows, usually above the sink.

It's possible to have that in my kitchen to an extent. The window would only be 7'on a 13 foot wall, flanked on one side by the fridge and the other by the end of a cabinet run.

However, my cab guy says the window is too big for my 13 x 19 kitchen, and it needs to be 5' and flanked by 18" glass-cab uppers. He says that it would look out of scale and not good to have a 7' window in my kitchen. At least he isn't arguing with me about running it down the counter and bumping it out!

He has 2 arguments that are good ones and so I will concede to his way (those uppers are necessary to better transition the fridge edge to the window, and I need the storage there as it's close to the DW). However, it then steers my kitchen toward being one of wrap around uppers, a look I don't prefer.

However, is he right that you have to have a large kitchen to pull off large banks of windows or at least one wall of windows?

Is it really possible for a kitchen to be too small to have a large window?

When I showed him about 10 photos of kitchens with at least 8' spans of window, he said, "yeah, but look at how large those kitchens are - they look appropriate to scale in there."

I wonder though if "scale" may be subjective, and that's his personal preference, or that he simply isn't aware of the trend of forgoing uppers for other elements such as windows. I love windows so "too many windows" is like "too much money" IMO. What's the real deal here?

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert