SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grlwprls

Gearing Up for New Kitchen Renovation

grlwprls
11 years ago

So, we finally got our grocery store house in New Orleans done. The kitchen, while a source of problems, eventually was corrected (by someone other than my GC) and we recently sold that house and have moved to Little Rock, AR.

Now, I am in the process of correcting a horrifying 1990's renovation to a charming two story 1920's cottage-y sort of house. The kitchen's poor space plan (18" between the edge of the island and the end of a run of countertops, anyone?) is only eclipsed by the poor space plan on the second floor. But that's for another forum ;-)

I've already started meeting with professionals - of course after doing some initial space planning on graph paper. This will be my third kitchen since I found this place - and I hope my last - so I'm putting all the knowledge I have gained from you all to the test.

This kitchen is going to wink at its 1920's roots, but look firmly toward its future - a life beyond this family. It's a modest home in a charming neighborhood with a good school. Currently, it has narrow plank oak floors (staying) and painted built in place slab door cabinets (going). The cabinets will be replaced with Shiloh insets in Polar white. White whirlpool sxs (imagine my surprise to see my fridge in the HB Kitchen of the Year!). A smidge of open shelving. Hanging pots. A white enamel 30" Berta with appropriate vent hood. A freestanding cabinet and hutch - very traditional in a honey toned finish. Soapstone counters. Honey onyx sunflower pattern mosaic backsplash. Faux butler's pantry in the rear vestibule (not a major point of ingress or egress). Maybe a freestanding work table - narrow! - if I decide I need more space. But it would have to be something can be reinvented somewhere else.

I really love to cook, hate to bake. The smaller European oven isn't an issue for me - I don't even necessarily do a turkey on T'giving. But I do a prime rib for Christmas every year.

This house has been given a somewhat "open concept" as the living room and kitchen will be opened up to the other (to remove a very ill advised 1990's "crazy wall").

I am meeting with the kitchen designer later this week and I fully expect a full critique of the layout. But, no walls or windows can be moved. There is one major pinch point, but we've had the same pinch point (in our New Orleans house) and it worked out in the reality of the situation.

I'm counting on marcolo, et al to assess my vintage space and see what we can do restore its early 20th c. charms and banish the horror of the 1990's!

The most frustrating thing about the kitchen is that it looks pretty good in pictures, but folks who know function will see through that in an instant. Turn the sound off, I warn you. It's public information that I own this house, so here goes:

http://rtvpix.com/RE-3543-X4OKUM-01?h=500&w=700

Oh, and the SubZero died (supposedly) the instant we took possession, so we haven't had a working fridge since the last week in May. First part took 4 weeks to come in, didn't fix the issue; next part - on order looks like this one will take 4 weeks too! Ugh. We have a dorm fridge and I shop every, single day.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars280 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz