SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
houseful_gw

My Dual Purpose Kitchen Table

houseful
12 years ago

I've seen quite a few threads lately asking about just the right kitchen tables. For years, I avoided buying a new table because I couldn't find a nice large one for our family of 8 that didn't either cost a fortune or was so cheap it showed. I also couldn't stand the thought of a new expensive table getting beat up.

So, I built and beat up my own. I bought 3/4" stain grade plywood, some decorative trim molding, some wood for the "apron" and some legs at the big box store. I was able to build, stain, and put three coats of poly on this in less than a week. I didn't want it perfect; I wanted it to look old. I never wanted to worry about having to use coasters or a table cloth. I used a finish nailer and didn't even bother to fill the holes. In fact we added more holes on purpose. I only sanded it before the first coat of stain.

It is big enough so that when all the food is on the table, you still have breathing room in front of you and enough elbow room on your sides. Because the trim molding I liked only came in 8 feet, I did have to have the plywood trimmed down to a little less than 4x8 to allow for the mitered corners.

First thing we did was buy this from HD. I did NOT spend $279 as is now advertised. This ensemble was on sale for less than $200 when I got it. We already had a miter saw.

FYI, nailer is empty here!!

I really wanted a tressle table, but that started to get too involved and was going to raise the cost substantially. I spent under $200 for this table. If you are up for the challenge, and don't necessarily care about perfection, it is very rewarding. I am very pleased with the way this table functions. As you can see, so are the kids!

Comments (14)