SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mereanne_gw

Help! Need advice on critical items before demo begins

mereanne
14 years ago

I have been planning our kitchen remodel since January and have relied heavily on GardenWeb for ideas and guidance. Many thanks to all the posters on this site! Demo is scheduled to begin August 17- here is our plan:

1) Demo tiny kitchen, bath, small hearthroom area, and ceiling (will be vaulted).

2) Relocate kitchen from current location to hearthroom area.

3) Convert existing fireplace into the new cooking area, with range inset into fireplace and vented through chimney.

4) Install floors, cabinetry, island, appliances.

Cabinets: Creamy white, shaker style, inset doors

Counters: Soapstone perimeter and carrera island

Backsplash: white subway tile, crackle finish, box inset behind range with carrera herringbone subways (copy from WillowDecor!)

Floors: Random-width quartersawn oak

Appliances: Ilve 40" range (white and chrome), Custom hood, Jennair 42" paneled refrigerator, Miele paneled dishwasher, Perlick bev center, sharp microdrawer

Island Sink: Shaw 3018

Questions:

1) Should I add a cap rail or liner to the top of the subways, or just have a bullnose? there are a few spots where the backsplash is not framed by cabinets.

2) What type of moulding should I use at the top of the wall cabinets? I'm looking for something simple, not sure if standard crown is the right shape?

3) Should I add a strip of moulding at the bottom of the wall cabinets? I've seen that on many cabinets, but not sure if that's too frou-frou for my simple kitchen.

4) What about the feet on the island and the base cabinets? How many feet and what shape? A simple curve is shown here, but is a straight shaker leg a better idea?

5) Knob/handle/latch finishes? We have ORB most everywhere else in the house, so should we be consistent in the kitchen, or opt for brushed nickel or a pewter color? Okay to have a nickel faucet and ORB knobs?

6) What sink should I buy for the bar area? It needs to be about 20x15 and I'm intrigued by the blanco silgranit. But what color would go best with the soapstone?

UGH- too many decisions and too little time!!! Appreciate any guidance!

From Kitchen Remodel

Here is a link that might be useful: Design Sketches

Comments (4)