SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nickro

New Home Plan - Advice/Criticism please!

nickro
9 years ago

Hello all,

I am a new member here, but have been lurking for a while. I have seen others post their floorplans when starting the process of building, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to do the same. We are working towards breaking ground in the spring. We have been looking at floorplans online and couldn't find one that we liked so we have been modifying one that was close to suit our tastes. We think we are close but before we take the step of having professional blueprints drawn up, I wanted to throw it out there for more widespread opinions and criticism.

We are a young family, second (and last planned) child on the way currently, but our intention is to stay in this house for the foreseeable future. Growing old in this house would be the plan, therefore we will be taking some accessibility items into account with wider doors (what exactly is recommended?) and hallways, etc. Our plan is to have a deck off the back of the house from the covered deck to about the width of the dining area.

We are planning on making this as energy efficient of a home as possible, with geothermal HVAC/water heater, 6" exterior walls with spray in insulation, LED lights, etc. Seeing as how we intend to stay for a long time, we are willing to invest up front for long term savings. Are there any other larger items that people here with experience would recommend?

This will be built on a 3.7 acre lot and the house will be positioned at an angle facing the Southeast overlooking most of the back yard and some hilly terrain.

I'm sorry if I forgot something in this post, if I did, please let me know and I can add it. We are planning to finish only the first floor and rough in the basement with a builder that will let us do some of the work ourselves (painting and material procurement with family discounts for example). The plan is to eventually finish the basement off ourselves, so I have a rough layout for that with 2 bedrooms, bathroom, and room for a pool table and a theater area. I will attach that in the next post.

Thank you very much for all time spent looking and opinions given.

Nick

Comments (20)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals