SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megpie77

So bumbed, not sure what to do :-(

megpie77
14 years ago

First of all we ordered cabinets from a very reputable cabinet maker who from the beginning was very on top of it and communicated very well. I could always count on him to either answer my calls or return them ASAP.

Around June 2nd we had custom cabinets installed, well, just the bases. The cabinet maker makes bases and orders the doors. I switched one of our upper cabinets with a larger one and when he cancelled the doors for the original my whole order got cancelled, or so he says and now I am beginning to wonder if they were ever ordered at all! I am just supprised that this late in the game they weren't already made and shipped to him. But I am not sure how quickly cabinet door companies make them when one calls in an order. He told us from the beginning he had a 13 bedroom home he was making cabinetry for and it was putting him behind. For one, he can't hold too much more inventory in his shop because of all of the cabinetry for this job? I think this is what he meant. I could tell he was stressed, as he doesn't get paid for that job until completion, and told him back on June 23rd that my kitchen was at least functioning and not to worry about time. I didn't mean for him to forget us or to take advantage of that comment. I just didn't want him to rush and do a messy paint job with the facings.

Anyhow, on july 8th he finally had a receiving date of July 13th for our doors. He communicated that he couldn't be there to receive them but that he would be there on the 14th to receive. On the 23rd of July he said he had the doors and would put in extra hours over the weekend and have them put in midweek the following week. Well, this week has come and gone and guess what? No cabinets and no phone call. My husband and I are wondering if the heat wave we are having here may have delayed the painting of our doors, but still, shouldn't he call and tell us?

I am getting discouraged and hate to be confrontational (my hubby has no problem with it though) because he is such a nice guy and I know that he is in a bind. We are wondering if he has run out of money because he hasn't been paid for the big job he has (actullaly I think he had 2 big jobs).

What would you do? What would your approach be?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!