SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
southernrn

Not sure what to do....What's your viewpoint?

southernrn
15 years ago

I'll try to be brief in setting the scene for this drama. I'm 31 years old, my BF is 33. We have been together for 8 months, and have lived together for the last 4- I know, I know...way too early for that...

However, living together this far has been wonderful. We coexist in perfect timing to an extent, and while I know the whole process is still "new", I couldn't imagine it going any better than it has been.

Fast forward to a few days ago. He talked to his mom (who I really admire) on the phone, and she once again expressed her feelings on us living together. Dont' get me wrong, she wants us to get married, and be together, but not cohabitate. She is a minister, and this viewpoint on cohabitation is totally what I expected.

When I got home from work Monday, he told me that he talked to his mom, and that he feels the right thing for us to do is for him to move out and get his own place. I have no doubt that he wants this relationship. He talked about getting married at the end of this year, so the time apart will be "just for a while", because he feel that it's the right thing. I feel it's just because his mom has pleaded with him about it. His brother gives his mom emotional stress all the time, and my BF doesn't want to add to that.

The place he's talking of moving to is about 1 hr 15 min away, so that's an issue also. It's the city where we were both planning on moving together after I get my current house sold.

My issue with this is #1, why are he and his mother making decisions about our relationship- as much as I love her, I will not be placed 2nd. #2, I feel like us living together is a commitment in itself, and that it's not fair for him to backtrack, and expect it not to damage our relationship?

Thoughts?

Comments (26)

Sponsored