SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenhaven_gw

Got my marble sideboard top on, finally!

greenhaven
9 years ago

I have been carrying this around in my truck for a week, now, but it is so large and heavy that I needed help to move it (and probably should not have been one of the "helpers" myself.) and needed to shore up the cabinet before I put the top on. And I am lucky even to be alive to tell the tale, let alone have gotten pics, so tough cookies, lol!

At 22lbs per sq ft, this puppy was no slouch at over 220 pounds of statuarietto marble. I had one stop left in my search for the right remnant at the right price when I found this guy! Wish I had found this place sooner! The only downside was that delivery and installation would have been exorbitant because of the distance from the shop and the fact that it was just one piece and not a whole kitchen.

So DH and I together barely got it out of the truck ind into the house up two short steps. It wold have gone better had I realized I was never going to shift that thing's weight in my hands once I had it out of the truck. As it was I was carrying it WAY too close to the center, thus carrying more of the weight than I should have been.

We got it leaned up on it's edge against the cabinet, then while I waited to catch my breath and find out of I had ruined my back we brainstormed ideas on how to get it up off the floor again and onto a 34" high cabinet without cracking it.

We ended up slipping two pieces of 1" lumber under the ends to create handholds, then DH, all by himself, lifted one end at a time onto chairs cushioned with more lumber. My job was to stabilize the piece "in flight" and get the chairs under the ends as quickly as possible.

Once it was on the chairs we scooted it away from the cabinet far enough that we could lean it down on the front edge of the cabinet and lever it quickly but smoothly onto the top of the cabinet.

It still needs to be scooted into proper alignment and siliconed on, but I am SO happy it is done! It is a beautiful piece, all I could have hoped for with the exception of not being honed, but the end result will be amazing.

The grey color I chose for paint (without having access to the stone) is the PERFECT color! I am very excited, I just have to get it painted and re-assembled then choose knobs. I am thinking about some retro glass knobs.

Next time I definitely would not pick it up without a definite plan for more help. I am hurting today, as I knew I would be, I did not play it smart in that regard at all.

But now I can put my seats up in the truck and locate my new Michigan plates to replace my (expired!) Illinois plates and clean that snasty truck OUT, man!

Here it is, a quickie cell pic. Tough to get a good angle where the reflection is not washing out all the detail.

Comments (20)