makeithome_gw

My Budget Kitchen Remodel - Progress

makeithome
12 years ago

I have read a lot of comments lately about how some people on this board want:

A. More progress pictures

and

B. More budget kitchen reno pictures

So, I figured I would share the progress pictures of my budget reno. We are about 75% complete. The kitchen is fully functional. At this point, what we have left to do is:

1. Replace the old decrepit fan with a new one

2. Add some kind of lighting under the cabinet to help light the stove top

3. Replace the cheap stick on tile flooring from the POs (I rip up tiles accidentally every time I sweep or mop)

4. Put in actual baseboard instead of the industrial vinyl trim they installed

5. Replace a couple of the old cabinet doors as they don't match with the rest of the new doors (but it's not super-noticeable so that's a "when we get to it" kind of thing)

6. Buy a smaller island that is more to scale for the room (I already have one picked out... just don't have the money yet)

7. Add accessories to bring some color into the kitchen (robin's egg blue and lime green)

Our kitchen is nothing special. I don't have fancy tile or high-end cabinets. Our stock laminate countertops with the double ogee edge were a big splurge for us. Our new cabinets were still the cheapest you can buy at the big box hardware stores. But, the kitchen works well for me now (I finally have countertops on either side of my stove, as well as a dishwasher!!!)), and I can honestly say that I enjoy cooking in there... and I guess that's what really matters, right? Every time I walk in the door, I have to fight the urge to start baking something, lol.

So for any of you out there who feel bashful or uncomfortable about posting your budget kitchen redos on a forum that, in general, is showcasing high-end (and totally beautiful!!!) kitchens - don't, lol. Just let it all hang out! Everyone comes from different places and different means, and there's nothing wrong with it. I love seeing the high end kitchens and the middle of the road kitchens and the budget ones... one is not better than the other, they are just different. And as one wise person said on this forum - a beautiful house does not make a beautiful life.

Okay, I am going to get off my little soapbox now :) I don't know if you noticed, but I definitely took inspiration from my favorite kitchen on this forum - Beekeeperswife. The color palette is very similar, though my new flooring will be gray and I think my kitchen has a slightly more "industrial" feel to it. That was inspired by one of the dearest kitchens in my life - the kitchen of my local old-fashioned market. The open shelves, light gray tile and magnetic knife strip are all nods to that kitchen.

My kitchen Before:

check out that old country border:

And AFTER:

My kitschy food art which I love:

Open shelving, reminiscent of the open shelving at the old local store:

And just for fun, a few accessories I picked up with the robins egg blue and lime green:

The island I want is about 30% smaller than the current one, and it is a nice dark wood with a stainless steel top (another nod to the market kitchen). I want a fan with brushed nickel accents and dark wood blades... and I want it to not rock back and forth dangerously like this one does when I turn it on, haha. Also, the open shelving is right now just cluttered with random things... my plan is to buy some book ends and put all my cookbooks on the bottom shelf, and then maybe some nice accessories on the top shelf.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Comments (25)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!